🍓 Chapter 1 - Peacemaker 🍓

He was nearly asleep as Peacemaker gazed at the top of the trees. His eyes shone as Peacemaker fluttered his rainbow, shimmering wings.

His mother, Hope, lay beside him, her wings draped around Peacemaker's plump body. He had been eating too many strawberries lately, and he was kind of sick of strawberries.

But he would never give them up. Not for mangoes, not for apples, not for dragonfruit. And especially not for pineapples. Yuck.

Peacemaker turned as Hope spoke. "Peacemaker," she began, "I've been meeting to ask you something."

Peacemaker gazed at his mother. "What's wrong, Hope?" He asked. His mother had never sounded so serious.

Hope paused, seemingly trying to find the right words. "Glory and Moonwatcher. You know Moon, they invited you to Jade Mountain Academy."

Peacemaker's heart lifted like a SkyWing drifting through the air. "Really?!" He squealed.

Hope nodded, her gaze full of happiness. "They told me yesterday. I wanted to make sure with you before I told them you would go."

"Of course I will!" Peacemaker wriggled from under Hope's wing as he stood proudly. "Please, please, please! Let me go!"

Hope seemed to hesitate. "Alright, Peacemaker. You can go. But if you need to come home, don't even hesitate. Let Moon lead you home."

Peacemaker nodded eagerly. "Alright! Okay! I'll do that!" He jumped up and down. "Are we leaving now?"

"No, no. Tomorrow morning." Hope responded. "Get some sleep, you need your energy for Jade Mountain."

Peacemaker bounded away. "Okay! Goodnight!" He leapt into his bed, snuggling in before closing his eyes.

🍓🍓🍓

Peacemaker unfurled his wings and flew on.

Hope flew beside him, her expression worrying.

"Are you sure you want me here?" Peacemaker broke the awkward silence by looking at his mother.

Hope was silently for another moment. "Yes." She responded. "I'm sure. I want you to be happy."

"I'll visit." Peacemaker promised. "I will." He flew onto the other side of his mother.

"Thank you, Peacemaker." Hope sighed in relief. "That makes me feel a lot better."

The mountain looming in the distance only made Peace maker fly faster. He needed to get there soon, or classes would start without him!

They landed at a small cliff with mossy ground, and Hope was still wide-eyed.

"I've never seen this many different dragons-" Hope murmured. Peacemaker nodded on agreement.

"Go on, then." Hope's voice cracked as she stared at Peacemaker lovingly. "I'll see you soon, Peacemaker."

Peacemaker flew close and nestled under Hope's chin, their wings nearly intertwined. "Don't worry, Hope. You can go now, I'll manage."

Hope flapped her wings and flew back. "Goodbye, I'll see you soon."

As Hope flew away, Peacemaker's heart sank. Maybe being away from Hope wasn't the best thing in the world. "Bye, mother." He whispered, flying to the mountain ahead.