Chapter Ten

Here we are again ... I'm embarking on a new journey of a fanfiction story. This time, we're going with a post-apocalyptic vibe. I recently watched The 100 on Netflix. I'd been intrigued to write a story based off that show/series of novels. I decided to write it for NaNoWriMo. I'm starting almost halfway through the month, but I'm determined to, at least, get something going. But, here I am in June and I'm still working on it.

Chapter Ten: On the Ark

Renee

In medical, I was working alongside Carlisle to patch up and fix the survivors. Broken bones, lacerations and contusions flooded medical. There were a few severe injuries, which we monitored closely. To be honest, we didn't want to perform surgery when the gravity was on the fritz. The engineers, including my husband, were working to fix the Ark, but it was a fruitless endeavor.

It was beyond all repairs. Also, the computer engineers and security officers were trying to break Aro's encryption code, but it was a fruitless endeavor at the moment. We couldn't do anything until we had complete control of the Ark.

"Time of death," Carlisle muttered, closing Daniel Hale's eyes, "Thirteen twenty-five."

"Damn it," I sneered, shaking my head. "I thought he had a chance."

"A pulmonary embolus dislodged and traveled to his brain," Carlisle answered grimly. "It was a ticking time bomb, only a matter of ..." He covered the body with a sheet.

Sighing, I walked over to Daniel, murmuring a prayer of peace and goodbye. His wife had died in the initial destruction of the Ark, thanks to the departure of the Exodus ship. Daniel, despite being battered and bruised, carried his shattered wife to medical, only to collapse in grief when we pronounced her dead. He never regained consciousness, joining her in eternal rest.

The lights flickered before coming on fully, along with all the computer consoles.

The comm system beeped and a voice filtered through the Ark. "This is Chief Engineer Sinclair. We've broken through encryption and have gained eighty-five percent control of what's remaining of the Ark. Chancellor Swan and Vice Chancellor Cullen, please report to the command center."

Carlisle looked at me, taking off his surgical gear. "I'll get Dr. Foster to come down here and help with the injuries," he explained. "When you're done, get Esme and join us in the command center. You've got about an hour or two until you get everyone here."

"Go," I urged, practically pushing him out the door.

He left and I worked with the nurses to treat the wounded. Alec came in with Esme with more injured. We worked together to help them, but we were quickly running out of medications and farm station, which held all of our medicinal herbs and such, was one of the casualties of Aro's madness.

Alec remained in medical while Esme and I went to the command center, called to discuss our next steps in our plan. Whatever that plan may be?

Upon our arrival, Charlie and Carlisle were talking with Sinclair. The rest of the command center was filled to the brim with computer engineers, security, and the smartest people on the Ark. I strode to Charlie, running my hand over his forehead to check to see if he was okay. His skin was clammy, but he seemed okay. In fact, he took my hand and pressed a kiss to my palm. "What's the news?" I asked.

"Before Aro left, we had two thousand three hundred and two people on the ark," Charlie explained. "With our sensors, we're able to see that we have nine hundred seventy-five survivors. The rest were either on the Exodus ship or in the parts of the Ark that were destroyed."