Chapter Fifteen

Here we are again ... I'm embarking on a new journey of a fanfiction story. This time, we're going with a post-apocalyptic vibe. I recently watched The 100 on Netflix. I'd been intrigued to write a story based off that show/series of novels. I decided to write it for NaNoWriMo. I'd starting almost halfway through the month, but I'm determined to, at least, get something going. My goal is to finish the story for NaNoWriMo July Camp ...

Up next, we'll find out what happened with the Ark, Charlie and with Alice. Leave me your thoughts and thank you for reading. I truly appreciate it!

Chapter Fifteen: On the Ark, Descending to the Ground

Renee

Everything was secured and Charlie was in the command center, preparing for our departure. I was strapped in, squeezed in between Carlisle and Aro's orphaned son, Demetri. Demetri's hand was in mine as I tried not to cry. To be honest, it was a losing battle with tears welling. I stared, unseeingly at the bulkhead in the surgical bay.

"Swan to Ark Station, thrusters will deploy in T-minus five minutes," Charlie's disembodied voice said through the intercom system. "Make sure everyone is strapped in." There was a pause and he let out a breath. "May we meet again ..."

"May we meet again," I whispered back. "We will find each other again, Charlie." My eyes fluttered shut as tears streaked down my cheeks, the battle lost. "I love you ..."

Carlisle took my hand, squeezing my fingers. "We'll figure out a way to get Charlie down to the Ground. I promise you," he murmured. "We did not spend hours and all of our blood stores to put him back together for him to die of hypoxia."

"How can we do that? It's not like there's rockets to get up to the outer ring when we get down to the surface," I hissed angrily. "He's going to die up here."

"We have the most brilliant minds on the Ark, we can figure something out," Carlisle soothed.

"T-minus one minute," Charlie announced. "Ren, hug our baby girl for me."

"I will," I replied, even though he couldn't hear me. I closed my eyes, trying to imagine Charlie in the command center, preparing the Ark for its final departure and descent to the Ground. As the engines roared to life, I slipped my arms around Demetri, providing him comfort when all I wanted was my husband's arms around me giving me comfort.

"Ten ... nine ... eight ... seven ... six ... five ... four ... three ... two ... one ... launch," Charlie counted.

With a jerk, the Ark jumped forward, pushing all of us into the bulkheads. It rolled harshly and we felt the moment the artificial gravity disengaged. Thanks to the straps, we were still secured in place. Demetri buried his face into my chest, whimpering in fear. I tried to whisper calming words to him, but the engines were too loud. I just held him tightly as the Ark lumbered through space and into the atmosphere.

Sinclair, who was sitting across from us, was monitoring our progress on his tablet. He said something, but I couldn't hear him over the roar of the engines. Then, there was a loud boom and the Ark jolted violently. Sinclair's eyes widened. His fingers flew out over the tablet.

"What's happening?" Demetri yelled over the din of the engines.

"I don't know, Demetri," I answered. The Ark lurched again. I held him closer as the movements of the Ark became more erratic, causing it to tilt and rotate.

"We lost the aft section," Sinclair shouted over the roar of the engines. "Once we hit the atmosphere, the Ark broke apart into two sections."

"That's more than half of our population," Carlisle said with wide eyes. "What's the probability that they'll survive?"