Chapter Sixteen

Here we are again ... I'm embarking on a new journey of a fanfiction story. This time, we're going with a post-apocalyptic vibe. I recently watched The 100 on Netflix. I'd been intrigued to write a story based off that show/series of novels. I decided to write it for NaNoWriMo. I'd starting almost halfway through the month, but I'm determined to, at least, get something going. My goal is to finish the story for NaNoWriMo July Camp ...

Up next will be Bella's reunion with her mother, and some work on Alice's recovery with Renee's help. Leave me your thoughts and thank you for reading.

Chapter Sixteen: On The Ground

Bella

"Hey, Bells," Lauren smiled from her spot in the command center. "How are things?"

I walked over to her, sitting down and scrubbing my face. "Stressed, to be honest. Did you hear about the visitor who appeared like a forest fairy from the Drop Ship?"

"There was a hubbub about someone arriving, but not who," Lauren said, her smile falling. "Where they injured?"

"Yeah, but I can't really say much since I want to protect their privacy," I explained. "Long story short, things are not okay at the Drop Ship."

"I can imagine," Lauren sighed. "The Drop Ship had some tech, but not a lot. Plus, the people who remained back there were not the smartest tools in the shed, especially with Jacob as their leader. He doesn't seem like a planner like you and Edward. If it weren't for you two, we'd be a mess and still be searching for this installation. You know?"

"Thank you, Lauren," I said. "I don't know how much I needed to hear that. There are moments where I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing."

"I beg to differ. You got us here," she began, ticking off the positives. "You set up a working government and an amazing community in the mountain. We don't feel like prisoners from the Sky Box. We feel like a family. Plus? You've got an amazing partner with Edward. He clearly adores you. He'd give everything to protect you. Hell, it was because of him that we're down here."

"I'm grateful for Edward ... in more ways than one," I whispered, sitting down next to her. "He was a friend when I needed a friend. He gave me human contact when I felt isolated from the world. And, now? He's my best friend and so much more ... I can't imagine not loving him."

"Wait, you love him?" Lauren asked.

"Very much so," I blushed. "The way I told him wasn't the most romantic, but it worked for us." I bit my lip, twisting my lanyard around my neck. "Now, I'm up here to check on the Ark. Have they left orbit?"

Lauren's fingers flew over the keyboard, pulling up the satellite feeds on the big screen. "See that reddish blob? Upper left corner?"

"That's it?" I asked.

"It's currently tracking across the United States. It broke through the atmosphere about ten minutes ago," she explained. "Unfortunately, it broke into two pieces. The larger of the two will probably land twenty miles from here, close to what was the nation's capital. The smaller of the two will land somewhere in between."

"When will they land?" I questioned. I checked the time and tried to calculate when the Ark would touch down. "In the morning?"

"Just after daybreak," Lauren replied. "Do you want to send Rovers to help with survivors?"

"Yes," I nodded. "I will be in the Rovers. I want to triage the survivors, explaining what's happening down here."

"What about Edward? He's ..." Lauren trailed off.