Chapter 16

He was frozen. Bowser scented him. He scented him. Thoughts were running though him like wildfire. The memories of his high school soul-mate class hit him full force.

Scenting was a topic brought up by an old classmate one day, and the teacher had gone on about what it signified. Sure, humans didn't have the ability to scent each other. But it was an act where a mate marks their territory, (in this case, their mate) so the teacher naturally taught the class about the topic. Luigi took notes, not realizing how much farther into the future they would have become useful.

Luigi didn't like the fact he knew what scenting was. He knew that within the species that someone scented their property with would be able to smell it. All of it. All of him. If Junior could smell him just by sniffing the air, who knows what the other koopas would be able to smell. He didn't want this. He felt sick. He wanted to leave. He's been the king's prisoner for long enough.

"You scented me? Me? No, no no no. You- I- I-a need ta leave." His voice came out in a panic. He needed to go back to the Mushroom Kingdom. Back to Mario. "Let-a me leave your- your castle Bowser." He begged the king. He didn't know what else to do.

Bowser didn't answer. He just stared at Luigi with an unreadable expression.

Without an answer, he shakily stepped off of the piano. It took him a moment, mainly because of the sheer size of the instrument. He then made his way down the large stairs. Bowser not once stopping him in his descent. It wasn't until he got to the large door at the entrance of the room, that the koopa called out. Not paying attention to the koopa's words, Luigi fled the room. He needed to leave.

Within 6 months, he earned the trust of the guards. No one was put on guard duty any more. Within 6 months, he learned where each exit from the castle was. No one thought he was going to escape. Not even the king thought he would leave, which ultimately led Luigi to where he was now. He stood at the entrance of the castle.

Bowser, unknown to Luigi, followed the plumber as he had fled the room. His large steps did in fact shake the ground with each step, but with the human determined to finally leave after 6 long months, he hadn't heard any of them. Even if he did, he didn't care. He wanted to leave, he needed to leave. He hasn't heard word from his brother and he needed to know if he was okay.

Luigi was still angry. He was beyond furious with the fact Bowser scented him, the thought still fresh in his mind. He didn't want any of it.

"Luigi!" The human's head snapped over to where the voice had come from, his body pushing against the castle doors to leave.

"Save it Bowser." He put his one gloved hand in the air, as if to silence the king. "I-a can't do it anymore, Your majesty." He backed farther into the castle doors, hoping his weight would pry it open before Bowser decided to grab him.

The koopa took a step closer to Luigi, trying to close the space in between them, both to grab him before he escaped and to not scare him at the same time. "Don't you-a dare take another step." He glared at the king, fury laced in his voice. "Do you know what you have done? Everyone can smell me. They all know." He tried to keep his composure, without snapping at the koopa. "I never wanted this!" He yelled out, tears forming in his eyes.

"Greenie, I just-"

"Stop." He ordered, his body still flush against the large doors. "Let me leave." It wasn't a question, it was an order. Browser's eyes went wide at such a command.

"I can't. You're my soul-mate Greenie."

"No." Luigi cut in harshly. "I am NOT your mate. I don't WANT to be your soul-mate." He got through the doors. "I never asked to be connected to you. I would rather die."

And with that, he fled from the castle. Leaving the Koopa King behind, staring at his receding figure.