Chapter 3 - The Yeti

"I don't wait for good opportunities,

I make them!"

"Hey, Daemon. Is it just me or are you studying even harder than before in the last few months?"

"You think so?"

"You didn't even escape the history lesson. Did something happen?"

And what am I supposed to tell you? That I literally begged Drufo to teach me about hunting, and he demanded that I devote all the rest of my time to studying in return?

"It must be some kind of torture for you."

"I grew up in the woods, I love being outdoors. But I admit that studying can be fun sometimes."

I was acting tragically to appear believable, but actually going to school was certainly not a burden for me.

Luckily, from the old me I had also inherited a love of studying and learning.

"Did you know that? If you mix grated perinthia root with gold powder, you boil them and add Malvasia to the very last, the result is a potion that protects from fire spells."

I looked just like a cocky little know-it-all who loved to show off. But what can I say? It was my nature.

"Sorry now, but I have to go. The shop is always full of customers at this hour."

Septimus, whom I loved to see so envious of my relationship with Mary, waited for her to leave the classroom before approaching my desk.

"I will never understand why she finds you so attractive."

"Are you jealous?"

"Are you kidding me? She's just a four-eyed in love with numbers. She's definitely not my kind of girl."

He was obviously lying, and it made me laugh.

"Anyway, do you know what do they say about Mary? They say her father beats her, and he spends all the money in their shop with wine and cards."

It was said that Doug Wallace was once a good guy, but since his wife died he had drowned more and more in alcohol, and now scarcely a day went by without him starting fights in the inn of Giselle's father or beating Mary.

Unfortunately, like all frontier places, Dundee too was that kind of place where everyone minded their own business, and since Mary was too stubborn or too scared to ask for help, the situation remained unchanged.

There was nothing I could do right now. But even that was something I could try to fix if I got strong or important enough.

"I go now. I'm late for my lesson."