Chapter 32 - War

"When I mark my goal,

obstacles can only get aside"

Immediately after being informed of the assault on the fort, Daemon called all his ministers to discuss the situation

Fear was in the air, and more than one person was worried, but in reality, almost no one was overly surprised by what had happened.

Somehow everyone knew it couldn't last.

Daemon had said it without mincing words the day they met for the first time, precisely with the aim of extinguishing easy enthusiasm and bringing everyone back to harsh reality.

"We cannot exclude that sooner or later someone will try to steal the freedom we have earned." he had said. "And when that happens we will have to be ready to defend ourselves."

That moment had finally arrived.

Too early for some, later than expected for someone else.

The Free State was born, now it was necessary to defend it.

Luckily nothing had been left in the hands of fate.

The establishment of an army, massive investments in armaments and emergency supplies, as well as the construction of some strongholds in strategic points of the country were all precautions that had been taken precisely in order to prepare for such an eventuality.

After reassuring everyone that no one would be overlooked, the first decisions were made, starting with public order.

The special law was established which limited access to food, guaranteeing everyone the necessary sustenance while containing speculation and waste. The powers of the police prefects were also implemented to maintain order and ensure that all villages had a security corridor to escape to the nearest fortified center in case of need.

Then it was the turn of the economic aspect.

Almost all the merchants who had begun doing business with the Free State in the last three months had black market contacts, and were more than capable of moving money and goods even in times of war by exploiting secret channels and subterfuge. The leaders of the guilds were received, and they agreed to continue the business in exchange for an adjustment to the profits to compensate for the risks.

Nobody was happy about the idea of selling out to those leeches, but it was the only way to keep the business going.

Naturally, in order to continue trading there had to be something to sell, so the order was given that all activities remained open, starting with the mines and the care of the fields.

Finally the battalions were reassigned and repositioned, with the veterans of the Revolution who would occupy the most exposed positions, garrisoning Grote Muren and the impervious Gael Pass, the only two points of connection between the east and the west of ancient Eirinn.