Chapter 8 - The Escape

It was at least two hours before the bind's power dissipated on its own, and it took me just as long to recover.

Just thinking about what I'd been through and the things I'd done was enough to make me want to die, and the fact that I still couldn't deny how indescribable and different it had been only made me repulse myself, and my bodily instincts couldn't escape.

All alone in that big bedroom, I sifted through the solutions that remained for me, and they were all terrible – I could only choose whether I would become a breeding animal or the plaything of a spoiled and ambitious nobleman who I couldn't was going to do with me.

Whatever choice I made, I was doomed to a miserable existence anyway.

Meanwhile the storm was getting stronger, and by morning, half of the province would certainly be covered in several inches of snow.

Something rained down on my head as I was about to fall asleep, and when I opened my eyes I saw a small piece of metal at my feet, long and thin, but solid-looking and pointed at one end.

"But what..."

Looking up, I was just in time to see one of the ceiling boards being furtively pushed back into place, and the sound of soft footsteps moving above my head.

"Who are you?"

It was clear that someone had wanted to offer me a third choice.

In the blink of an eye, I analyzed that unexpected reversal of events and the consequences it would entail.

According to what the fat man and his son had said, I shouldn't have even been there. If something happened to me or if I fled, it would be difficult for the governor to justify my presence there, and punishing someone would be like admitting that they had attempted to steal valuable goods intended for the Empire.

I thought back to my father, my companions, even Daemon, praying to those gods I no longer believed in that I wasn't mistaken – so, making peace with my decision, I bade them farewell.

For once I would have thought to myself. It was my life after all.

"I am sorry."

With the end of the storm and the disappearance of the clouds, the night had become extraordinarily bright

Suddenly, cries of alarm broke the silence of the night, and torches went lighting up in all corners of the building behind me.

"Alarm! The dragon has escaped! Find her!"

I ran laboriously dragging my bare feet, which after a few steps had become hard and numb due to the cold already. Every step was an ordeal, also because not being able to break the lock of the big iron collar, I had been forced to carry it with me together with the chain.

Although I was used to suffering from the cold, the tiny dress they had put on me was so thin that it was as if I were running without clothes – while the freezing air, the branches and thorns never stopped cutting my skin.