Chapter 33 - Stairway to Heaven

I had never thought that peace was destined to last long, just as I had always known that my empire, like all the others that existed in who knows how many other worlds, could only be built with blood.

After all, I knew I didn't have much time, and in my heart I had hoped that things would get started as soon as possible.

Almost four months had passed since that fateful day when it all began, and the arrival of the Demon Lord was getting closer.

It was no coincidence that from the first moment I had invested heavily in strengthening our western borders, having Grote Muren renovated and selecting the most cold-resistant monsters to send them to the Gael Pass. Because I knew that the first move against us would come from Eirinn itself.

Obviously I had read up on who I would be facing, and thanks to the reports given to me by the spies I had sent everywhere in almost all of Western Erthea, I had formed a fairly precise idea of Victor Montgomery.

Long story short, I wasn't worried in the slightest, since I understood who I was dealing with; he was the perfect spoiled hedonist, similar to many aristocrats of any kingdom, who mistook nobility for talent, constantly looking for a way to demonstrate his strength.

I had met hundreds of guys like that in my previous life, and I knew them well enough to know what to expect from them.

The same goes for Philippe, a snake with a forked tongue who used love of country as an excuse to justify his ambition, certainly competent in command but so unwise as to be predictable in his choices.

The problem however was General Lefde, of whom I couldn't get a precise idea. On the one hand I saw him as another of those veterans drunk with chivalrous honor who would never dream of contradicting their lord's orders, even if they disagreed with him, on the other I had only heard praise for his talent as a general.

As if that wasn't enough, everything was weighing on my shoulders, and for several days now I had barely found time to sleep.

In my old life, I could afford to delegate logistical and bureaucratic matters to others, but even though I was working to create a ruling class that could assist me, none of my subordinates still possessed the necessary qualities to keep up with me.

And with a war on the doorstep, my responsibilities had multiplied: studying the maps, organizing the garrisons, taking care of supplies, assigning the officers, planning the marches were all things that fell on my shoulders.

And even though I was now young again, I too had limits.

I had reached my third night spent almost completely sleepless examining paperwork and drawing up documents, I had more coffee than blood in my body, and if I had had a gun I think I would have shot the first person I met because of how tired and nervous I was.

To avoid completely collapsing I decided to take a walk.

The Castle was immersed in absolute darkness and silence, and except for the sentries, almost all of whom were more asleep than me, I didn't meet anyone until I reached the gardens.

"Scalia." I said when I saw her standing in front of the mermaid fountain. "What are you doing up at this hour?"

"I could ask you the same question."

"I had work to do, but I needed a break."

"You work too much, little brother. If you continue like this, sooner or later you will get sick."

"It's inevitable. Now that we are at war the tasks have multiplied."

"So it's really war..."

"I'm afraid so. Apparently, Victor has spent every last penny of Eirinn's coffers to recruit as many mercenaries as possible. It won't be an easy battle."