Chapter 18 - The Witch

"The memory we leave of ourselves

is the only form of immortality we are granted."

Adrian had always believed in the superiority of the brain over the muscles, and ever since he learned to read, he had dedicated himself to expanding his knowledge as much as possible in the most diverse fields of human knowledge

Several times as a child he had happened to win the respect of older and rougher boys by using only the art of dialectic, and before he was twelve his intellect and his knowledge already surpassed those of his own teachers.

Many people considered him a strange, sometimes even disturbing boy, capable of understanding everything about a person simply by looking at them, but he had never cared, so much he trusted that words could overcome any challenge.

Then one bad day, he had met an opponent with whom his weapon had proved completely ineffective, emerging from that experience, as well as with several bruises, also with a new awareness: there are individuals who only believe that might makes right, and with whom the use of violence is not only acceptable, but also inevitable.

Strengthened by this awareness, he had enrolled in the imperial military academy surprising his own father, who had always considered him a bookworm with no future.

He had considered that in the end learning the art of killing and leading men into battle was not so different from playing madara, in which incidentally he had been unbeaten since the age of nine: it was just a matter of skillfully overwhelming the opponent and cunningly move the pieces at your disposal on the battlefield to obtain the best possible result, without fear of sacrificing them if necessary.

And here too he had shined.

After a year he had the highest grades in the whole school. After two, he had defeated all seventy-four older comrades in the process of graduating in duels. Finally, at the conclusion of the third, he had led the students of the academy in the traditional simulated battle in the presence of the Emperor Ademar, managing to defeat with shocking ease none other than the second in command of the imperial army, General Lepidus.

Because of all this, His Majesty hadn't thought twice about consecrating and officially recognizing his small unit of elite warriors, – made up almost entirely of his fellow students – three hundred highly skilled and absolutely loyal young soldiers, who would also march through the halls of the underworld for him.

With his ability he could easily have applied for admission to the officers' school, for which he had obviously been recommended; instead he had preferred to follow his father to the extreme periphery of the Empire, much aware of how true experience should be sought as far away as possible from the glories and comforts of the capital.

His patience had finally paid off, and now he had a chance to prove himself to a challenge he deemed worthy of his attention. And he wouldn't let it get away.