Chapter 17 - The Templar

An armored girl wielding a sword appeared from the large building on the other side of the square, advancing towards Scalia and the others as if she wanted to stop them all by herself.

"It's over. The city is already ours, and soon our comrades will defeat the soldiers who are fighting outside."

That wasn't actually entirely true; on the contrary, according to Daemon's words, a good part of their chances of victory came from the task that Scalia and the others still had to complete.

"There is no reason to fight any further."

"I have sworn to protect this city and its people, and I will do it no matter what!"

The order not to kill was still in effect so Drufo tried to knock out that mad one with some of his skillful shots, but she intercepted all the arrows and broke them cleanly.

Then it was Passe's turn. He charged like a bull waving his ax above his head, which was first dodged and then tripped to the ground after suffering a blow which, had it not been for his shaggy fur, would have split his belly in two.

The others were already ready to jump on her all together, but Scalia stopped them; not because he feared for hers or their safety, but because all of a sudden she felt a strange heat run through her body, accompanied by an irresistible shiver.

"You stay back. I'll deal with her."

The challenger motionlessly watched Scalia coming out of her group and moving in front of her, and once they were face to face they spent some time defiantly gazing into each other's eyes.

"I don't think I know your name."

"Does it matter?"

"I want to know who I'm fighting with. Besides, my brother always says it's polite to ask your challenger's name."

"If this tone is your idea of being polite, I'd say you still have a lot of work to do."

They looked like a couple of female cats hissing on each other showing their teeth than two warriors about to fight.

"My name is Isabela, and I am a Temple Guard."

"I'm Scalia, daughter of General Zorech."

"I've heard of him. His reputation preceeded him."

"Ironic, don't you agree? A Temple Guard who challenges the daughter of the Dark Lord's First General to a duel. It means I will consider your death to be just compensation for all of our comrades your ancestors killed five hundred years ago."

Scalia thought that maybe that was why her heartstrings had vibrated the moment she saw her; perhaps she instinctively recognized that shiny breastplate and that gold coat of arms that her father had sometimes told her about.

"I warn you, don't you dare use the bind. Try it, and my friends will all jump on you together."

"Who do you think I am? This will be a fair duel. I swear it on my honor as a Temple Guard."

She couldn't wait any longer.

"Here I come!"

She charged with all the strength and speed she was capable of, driven by a lust for battle she had never felt before.

During the last battle she had been able to break through the enemy's shields and pierce them with a single blow, and she was sure that this time too it would be the same; Isabela however not only managed to deflect her sword by letting it slide placidly on her own, but Scalia herself came very close to being pierced in the belly, managing to avoid the blow almost by accident.