Melancholy

Today was a quiet day.
You hadn't really felt like this before, but it felt like there was an emptiness where your chest is, where your heart should be.
You felt kind of numb, and you didn't want to talk really, but you did want to cuddle. So you'd been particularly needy with Dabi, and Jin. The two people you knew and trusted enough to allow them to hold you for a long period of time.

Jin was more than happy to oblige, hugging you while you sat on his lap and did some more worksheets that Kurogiri had begun to spring on you again. He tried helping you as much as he could, his approach a lot gentler than Shigaraki's.
You wonder if maybe that's why you were feeling a little off-colour today. You'd tried doing some math worksheets with Shigaraki yesterday, and he'd ended up getting frustrated with you for not knowing your times tables off by heart. He wasn't yelling, but he wasn't exactly being nice either. Not that he was ever really outwardly nice, just tolerant of you.

You enjoyed leaning against Jin, he was a lot more solid than Dabi was, and you didn't need to worry about hurting him like you did Dabi, beginning to understand how fragile Dabi's staples and burns were now you finally knew what had happened to him.
It was nice having Jin lean over your shoulder to help you with your questions, him pressing quick kisses to your temple every time he leaned back again.
Sometimes he'd sigh and whisper praise to you as he rested his chin on your head, telling you how he wished his little girl was as cuddly as you, happily telling you all about her until you asked if you could play with her one day.
When you'd done that, he'd dismissed himself and gone for a cigarette.

You'd immediately got off of your stool to clamber onto Dabi's lap, earning a little surprised grunt from him, his eyes rolling in vague annoyance at being disturbed as he put his phone down on the bar.

"Wha's up, Star?" He asks, hauling you up so you can sit on his lap properly.

"Did I upset Uncle Jin?" You fret, thumping your head back into his shoulder to look up at his cold eyes.

His eyes slide to the door that Jin had exited from, his gnarled arm lazily wrapping around your waist to keep you stable.

"Nah." Dabi replies, looking back down at you. "He's just missin' his little one."

"I didn't know, so I just got a bit excited..." You explain, trying to correct the situation.

"Stop fussin'. It's fine. He's a big boy." Dabi sighs. "Ya finish your work?"

He leans forward to slide your worksheet towards him, resting his chin on top of your head much like Jin did. You straighten your head, your eyes scanning over the worksheet.

"Looks good t'me." He praises. "Attagirl."

He puts it back down, nuzzling his cheek against your head.

"Why don'tcha go an' play with Toga and Magne?" He asks, leaning his cheek on your shoulder. "Think Toga's doin' Magne's hair. You liked it when she did your hair last time, didn't ya?"

"Mm." You agree, picking at a loose thread on one of the hand-me-downs that Giran had gifted you a while ago.

You feel Dabi's eyes burning into you expectantly for an answer. He looks around quickly, checking that Spinner and Shigaraki were still engrossed in whatever game they were playing.
He gently grips your chin, turning your head softly to look at you.

"What's the problem, Starshine?" He asks quietly. "You're bein' all weird. Actin' like a puppy or somethin'." He tries to tease. "Someone upset ya?"

His eyes slide and narrow at Shigaraki for a second before he looks back at you, his thumb stroking your jaw gently.
You shake your head as much as you can with his hand holding your chin, and lean your face into the caress of his thumb against your jawline.
He stares at you, his eyes softening slightly.