[15] Full Speed Combat Mode

Full Speed Combat Mode

Seth was jarred awake by the sound of the city emergency siren wailing. He sat up in a frazzled haze. He heard the blaring of a bull horn. He heard the rough drone of the voice echoing through it in the darkness, muffled by distance and the chaotic sounds of unrest in the streets. Moab was a small town by any standard, but it had turned on its peaceful residents like a rabid dog.

He left the shelter of his bed and Haven, who lay sleeping beside him, and went outside to stand on the small porch balcony.

The smell of burning rubbish and humidity stung his eyes. Overhead, Blackhawk helicopters ripped through the sky, so close Seth could feel the pound of their propellers beat against his chest. He held the iron railing that enclosed his small porch with white knuckled fear.

His stomach lurched, tightening with the pain of anxiety. Gangs of young men ran along the thoroughfare past his apartment and Seth backed into the shadow of his doorway. Gun shots rang out and pinged off whatever they hit. Shouts of anger and confusion filled the air, screams and the violent crash of windows shattering pushed Seth back inside. He locked the door behind him, leaning his bare back against the cold hardwood, released the breath he had been holding and went to wake Haven.

She was already awake and sitting up in bed. Her chestnut hair was tousled from sleep, but her amber brown eyes were wide. She was clutching the comforter to her knees and gasped when he entered the room. "Where were you," she asked nervously. "And what is going on out there?"

"The town has gone crazy Haven. I think the electricity is out too," Seth told her as he was going for his phone on the nightstand.

Haven got up and quickly dressed. She grabbed her own phone but as Seth suspected there was no service. They looked at each other silently fearing what the other was thinking.

Seth's jaw was clenching, and he ran a hand over the top of his head. Haven watched him get dressed.

He was muscular and lean. Several years of ranch work had tanned him to burnished gold and his dark hair which he kept in a military crew matched the days worth of dark beard stubble on his chin. A chin that was stubborn and resolute but could also be relaxed and smiling.

Seth was a deep soul, melancholy at times and introspective, but he had the heart of a true patriot and a gentleman. He was instantly taken to Haven, meeting her at Hollis and Verbena's diner. After weeks of friendly banter, he finally asked her out, but she had declined, explaining that she wasn't going to be in Moab long.

She was pregnant and living at a halfway house until she gave birth. She was expected to give the child up for adoption which was the foundation of the center which took her in, but after that she would be going back to Ohio where she was from.

Seth had respected her wishes and her decisions, never pressing her but he was never far from any need she had. Even at Hollis' gentle warning that he should probably not become attached to her, Seth was just always there in that safe, familiar kind of way and Haven had found herself deeply attracted to him.