[17] When You Do What You Do

When You Do What You Do

"We almost didn't make it, but all kidding aside, who's bombing roads?" Mark asked quizzically.

Nathan looked at Lara. "I don't know, but Lara is a---"

"A field agent," Lara interrupted him. "For ATF," she lied. "And yes, I was wondering myself, if it was military. Remember me asking you that Nathan, on the way here?"

Nathan just looked at her, his mouth slightly open from being cut off and eyes narrowed to thin slits.

Mark noticed the strange look he gave her but said nothing.

"Yeah, I do seem to remember that Lara," he clarified oddly. "I think your bump on the head affected me worse than it did you, Agent Halburg."

Mark and Sherri both raised their brows over the strange interchange between Nathan and this Lara, but they really wanted to hear what had happened to Nate, and where he had been, and said as much asserting that everyone had been worried sick.

Lara stood up to excuse herself, but Nathan grabbed her arm and held on. "No, I'd like you to stay," he drawled ominously, wondering what kind of game she was playing. He thought better of his actions, though and told Mark and Sherri to give them a moment and he got up, pulling her with him. He led her out through a small gardening type room and out a side door, the only one not boarded up, and around to a small, red brick, rounded plaza with a fire pit. It was the only place Donelle allowed smoking.

It was dark out there, and darker still beyond the house, and Nathan turned her instantly around to face him. "You're just a little liar, aren't you Lara?"

"No," she hissed. "I'm just not ready to discuss the situation."

"No? Pray tell why not? Have you even been honest with me at all woman, or is this some nasty game, some made up crazy psyop? Because I want to know. These people are my family, they trust me, and I'm sure the hell not going to be the one who brings a rat to the table," he whispered venomously from between bared teeth.

She tried to walk away but he clenched her upper arms and pulled her back to face him again. "Well," He reproved her. "What's the answer?"

"You know the answer," she spat back infuriated. "You think I could make all that up? All of this! You'd be a bigger fool than I thought if so!" she railed furiously.

He searched her face for some semblance of candor, those green eyes of his hitting her soul like lethal shards of jade. When he could not find what he was looking for he pulled her body against his rigid chest and his lips crashed against her mouth, unyielding at first and then softer as he felt her respond. He lingered gently before skimming his lips across her face. He pulled away and looked deep into the blue oceans of torment in her eyes, satisfied that he had his answer.