[36] Where Ever It Is

Where Ever it Is

Where Ever it Is

"Where will we go from here Nathan?" Lara asked in that moment of sorrow. She felt a bittersweet heartache leaving behind people she had grown to love and as if he sensed her melancholy Nathan pulled her close and she laid her head on his chest.

His voice was rich with emotion and rumbled in his chest against her ear.

"A place where we can take care of each other, Halburg."

She smiled with the name that had become an endearment and sighed. "I hope it's beautiful, wherever it is."

"You'll see. It's a wild place. Pristine. A place up in the mountains. It is the mountain valley of Cimarron. It was Len's idea all along. To get us there. We'll be safe there."

She slipped her hand into his and his fingers entwined hers lovingly.

They watched out the back as the scenery flew past them. Every now and then Deag would wave from the car behind them. Nathan waved back and Len drove on through the night and Lara fell asleep against Nathans chest.

The elevation began to climb, and the air became crisp as they wound on down an interstate highway, leaving behind the dry parched desert terrain and into deep forests of pine, aspen and spruce that seemed to touch the dark sky above.

They only stopped once in a small town, long enough for Hollis and Deag to siphon some gas from the abandoned cars left behind by people fleeing a disease which had ravaged the country and left its dead to walk the earth in perpetual sleep, starving for the meat of their own family or friends.

Len told Nathan they were at least another hour away as the truck roared to a start and as they pulled out onto the empty road, the dogs lay down beside Nathan and Lara, and even they seemed to be relieved to be on the move. Lara watched them, wishing she were as lucky as they were to have no memories, no pain of leaving behind the life they once had. They were just happy to be along for the ride.

As the sun rose east of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Len pulled over at a small gas and convenience store so the kids could use the restroom and he and Deag went inside to see if anything was left on the shelves. Nathan and Hollis cleared the restrooms and store, before anyone was allowed to go in.

In the restroom they encountered a young man, sick with the Sleeping Sickness. He was turned, his sightless milky eyes seeing nothing but his rasping growls and clicking teeth gave Lara hesitation. They carefully scavenged the few items they could and got out of there.

Miles further on they found a bait shop and Len stopped there too, bringing out fishing rods and other supplies, even a rifle he had found behind the counter.

Another day wore on and the sheer isolation of the mountains had an eerie and overwhelming effect on Lara. It was truly as if they were the only people left in the world, and far from any type of city or town only made it more weighty. She was terribly unsure of how they would exist or survive so far away from anything viable.