[30] Apart From Death

Apart from Death

Apart from Death

The rest of the day was spent packing. As much as they could cram into the vehicles for the move to Far View Lodge. No one said anything else about Ed, and Lara barely gave what had happened a fleeting thought because her mind was filled with Nathan.

Verbena watched her with squinty eyes, and Lara was sure the woman could tell something was up, but she never pried. Lara was thankful. She wasn't much good with personal explanations. Nathan watched her from a distance but unlike Verbena, his expression was lazy, smiling.

Lara was just glad when they all loaded up and drove away, past the bitter realization of a burned-out ranger station. They had all agreed to forego the faux funeral, but Len did say some words before they left. Len had then mentioned they would be able to take showers at Far View and Lara couldn't wait. Thinking about how long it had been since any of them had bathed, made her grit her teeth.

And maybe tonight she could study the coffers of Dr. Claira Lottridge, a mad woman. When she thought of Nathan O'Connor Sr., it seemed strange to her that a man like him had been involved with someone like Claira. His sons were nothing like him, in thanks she knew, to their mother.

"A penny for your thoughts."

Lara looked up from her daydreaming to find Len staring at her from the front seat. Nathan looked at her through the rearview mirror with arched brows and just smiled.

She smiled back but said nothing.

"I don't think you can afford her thoughts Len," Nate joked.

Their convoy wound its way back toward the middle of the park and up the ridgeline where the lodge sat nestled at the top and Nate directed them all to park as close to the arched entrance as possible, forming a barrier there which would lend them some time if they encountered any problems from the outside world.

Seth came running down the sidewalk and Keith followed. The men got busy unloading and Lara, Verbena, and Monica with Payton in tow, went up to start unpacking the boxes that the guys brought in. Lara was stunned by the sheer beauty of the place but made herself get busy helping. Daydreaming just wouldn't do.

Haven came up the hall and Lara and Verbena stopped to give her a hug and ask how she was feeling. She said she was doing fine and told the girls where her room was. Then she proceeded to help Verbena unpack boxes. Donelle found Lara in the storeroom.

"Do you think its safe for that child to be around us?"

"I think so. And she's hardly a child. Haven shouldn't be a threat to anyone, including her unborn baby."

"I just worry. What I saw that night, the pain. The death."

"I know Donelle, but you can't stop living. Look, we'll have a group meeting later and everyone can express their thoughts and fears."