| part 9 |

Blood slowly trickled down my arm

Blood slowly trickled down my arm. That monkey had a nasty grip.

"I'll watch the trees" Finnick says before walking off. I look over to Peeta and the morphling before walking off to join Finnick.

"Hey" I say taking a seat next to him.

"Is your arm ok?" He asks concerned, referring to the deep claw mark on my arm. Another claw scar to add to my collection.

"I'll survive"
At least I hope I will.

"Don't scratch" Katniss says walking over to us. "You'll only bring infection. You three should get some rest, I'll watch"

"No, Katniss, I'd rather" Finnick protests. I look into his eyes, at his face, and realise he's holding back tears.

"All right, Finnick, thanks" Katniss says before lying down on Peeta's chest before drifting off asleep.

"Are you ok?" I ask Finnick.

"Uh - yeah" he says unsure of himself.

"I miss them too" I say sensing his sadness. I feel it too. Being dragged away from our family. From our child.

"Get some rest, you need it. I promise I'll be fine" my husband assured me. I reluctantly lie down and drift off too sleep.

--------------

It's mid morning when I open my eyes again. I look around to see Finnicks hands have not rested. He has woven two new bowels and filled them with fresh water and it appears he has filled a third with fresh shell fish. I eat the portion of fish he set in front of me thanking him for the food.

"You know, if you scratch you'll bring on infection," says Finnick to Katniss.

"That's what I've heard," she says rolling her eyes at him.

"Hey, Haymitch, if you're not too drunk, they could use a little something for their skin." I shout up to the sky. It's almost funny how quickly the parachute appears above me. I reach up and the tube lands squarely in my open hand. "About time,"

I sit down on the sand next to Finnick and screw the lid off the tube, inside is a thick, dark ointment. I begin treating Finnicks skin, scooping the substance onto him. Really, the combination of the scabs and the ointment he looks hideous. I can't help enjoying his distress.

"Poor Finnick. Is this the first time in your life you haven't looked pretty?" Katniss says clearly amused by this as much as me.

"It must be. The sensation's completely new. How have you managed it all these years?" he quips back.

"Just avoid mirrors. You'll forget about it,"

"Not if I keep looking at you," he says.

"Your lucky I didn't marry you for your looks" I say looking at Finnick. He sort of looks like a decomposing corpse.