Twenty-eight - Bipartite

Those who know, do. Those who understand, bide their time.
Year 6

———————

Vader

She walks one step behind me and to my right, the perfect spot, without me even telling her to.

I do not want to be doing this. Presenting Kitten to my master is the last thing I want to do, but if I continue to hide her, the more his suspicions will grow. Sure, I've replayed this moment over in my mind a hundred times, but there are two variables that I can't predict.

Palpatine and Kitten. They can both be predictable—but each has proved me wrong in the past.

I can hear the thrumming of her heart, and remember what it felt like pulsing against my own heartbeat. Then, I remember her unconscious body, the fear she feels with Vader, and I harden. The darkness swims faster in my veins, pulling me under. I have hurt her, done horrible things, lied to her. I remind myself of every offense I've ever done to her.

"Master," I say with utter calm. Palpatine knows of my double identity, knows I only unmask for this woman. It is dangerous, but lying would be even worse.

"I present to you the head of security of Fortress Vader, Kat Velez." I do not lift my head, merely motioning toward her.

In the corner of my eye, I see both of her knees hit the black floor, see her hair skim her fingertips as she bows so low that she is practically lying down. My one knee suddenly seems inefficient. Of course Kitten knows how to serve; she serves me, after all.

"My Emperor," she breathes, a sound that somehow holds reverence and fear.

"Rise," he says after two excruciating minutes. We do, and when his hand waves in dismissal, I take two steps back until Kitten now stands at his feet. Alone. And I hate myself for putting her in this situation. My hate only increases my grasp on the dark side.

His chin lifts enough for two-thirds of his face to be revealed, and his eyes lock on hers. Her jaw is high enough to allow her to meet his gaze, and I wish I could see her face. I have no doubt she is unflinching.

Kitten has guts. I feel her fear and discomfort, her confidence waning. But still, she does not droop. She fears Vader, but she is smart enough to know she is standing on a new line. She needs to please him without drawing unnecessary attention to herself.

"Your father was no friend to the Republic," he finally says.

"No, Your Excellency. He wasn't." She doesn't try to defend him. Doesn't tell him that her father would have continued his service for the Empire. She simply agrees. As she should.

He stares. For a long time.

"He tried to hide your abilities."

"That is what I have come to understand."

"Why?"

"I believe he hoped to spare me from working for higher powers." His lips split into a foul smile.

"It would seem he failed."

"I'm not sure he could have predicted this, my lord. But yes."

He stares at her, his eyes flicking to me briefly. How long has it been since he's seen my face? Years.

"You have saved my apprentice's life on multiple occasions. If you want to honor your father and leave your position, you have earned your freedom."

A test. One that is just as much for her as it is for me. I do not flinch, do not allow my thoughts to wander.