Chapter 34

Chapter 34

I didn't want to go anywhere from Callan's bed. His sheets were soft, keeping me warm the entire morning while he slept on the side, not rising up any time soon. Night-eaters slept through the whole morning, it kept them protected from the blazing sun. I remained in his bed, eyes wide open, squirming left and right under the sheets while keeping my silence.

I didn't want to wake Callan.

I slept with ease, without a single worry in my mind. His room was a safe haven. All those nightmares and visions came to an end when I slept here.

But it was not the last of it.

I woke up with a painful headache splintering all through my face and head. I suppose that was the punishment of doing black magic on someone who was a witch.

The third one.

My hands went over my eyes, rubbing them aggressively before I finally got up from the bed and tip toed to the washroom. It was past three. Late. My stomach grumbled as I reached the sink. My reflection screamed back at me to what I've done. I didn't look up, not even when I wanted to.

After drying the water on my face, I headed out, changing into my clothes and slipping on my shoes. The grounds of the court were ice-cold, freezing to touch. Anyone walking barefoot would be a manic.

I returned to the bed, grabbing my phone from the side table before taking another glance at Callan. His eyes were shut. I leaned close to him, placing a kiss on the side of his cheek before whispering a thank you. I didn't know what I would've done last night if he hadn't let me stay with him.

Slipping out of the room, I didn't look back. Servants and other members of the court were rushing around in the hallways as it was late-afternoon. Some of them caught my glance but most of them were in their own business. While walking back to my room, I noticed a strong, alluring pair of eyes piercing through my back, but every time I turned, there was no one looking at me.

Goosebumps crept over my skin. My stomach growled now in hunger and instead of going to my room, I went to grab some food.

Just as I reached the kitchen, I sensed someone breathing down my neck. The kitchen design was open with several servants working inside. Just beside the kitchen, there was a long wooden table with a few women seated and to the walls on the side, there were old paintings of the court and the castle.

My neck tilted a little and I looked back while one of the servants prepared something quick for me before I fainted.

A familiar woman caught my eye.

Claudia—my aunt who's little brother I had killed. It didn't take me long to recognize her. She was seated with another woman I had seen before. Eileen. Both of them aged and both of them who had their eyes on me.

Fuck.

"Rumors are spreading," I heard Eileen say behind me. "It's understandable the need you've to bed as many men as you can. As much as I've heard, your mother was quite the same. But how many more are you going to?" She asked, her tone playful.

I rolled my eyes, turning away and holding my rage back. Did they watch me leave Callan's bedroom? Or had they send someone to stalk me? I wouldn't get it past these two women. One of them shared the same blood as my father.

Claudia didn't say anything, but I felt her eyes still lingering on me, watching me carefully after last night's confrontation. But I wasn't concerned. Neither of them could do anything to harm me, no matter how much they wanted.