Chapter 38

Chapter 38

The door slammed open with another thud, Dion walked in, and surprise washed over his face as he found me, being held against my will. My heart stopped racing in a panic beat as I realized I was going to be saved and not doomed.

"Leave her," Dion interrupted, reaching closer to the man, to the son of Queen Alexandria. "Whatever it is, we can talk about it, Elijah."

He dropped my arms, setting me free. His attention turned to Dion and he asked, "Do you know her?" There was a hint of confusion in his eyes as he was trying to make two ends meet. It wasn't going to be long.

I glanced at the door, it was slightly opened. It was my only chance. Once they were going to figure out what I had been doing, none of them would show me mercy and if they even got hindsight that I was leading them to their deaths, they'd kill me first and then go after the Queen. None of that could happen.

"Yes," Dion stepped in front of me, covering me with his body, but also blocking my way out of the room and out of this fucking place. "I know her well. What's the problem? What has she done?"

Something darkened in his eyes. "You have no idea what she has done," He shook his head as his eyes clicked onto me. He knew. I could tell he was smarter than the other two cursed men, sharper and he was catching onto every detail. "She's working with my mother." His attention diverted back to him and he stated, the truth.

"She's not," Dion gave his head a shake in denial. "And why would she even work for her? She's merely in court because of some unsettling matters with her family."

"Are those the lies she has fed you?" Elijah chuckled at him.

I remained quiet while eying the door. What was going to happen if I just left? My hands went around my shoulder, rubbing the area where he had nearly burned me. Dion moved in front of me, protecting me just as Elijah moved to get to me.

"What lies? Make some sense and leave her alone." Dion snapped, rage covering his brown eyes as he reached nearer to me.

"Don't act like a fool..." He trailed off before meeting my eyes.

As I held his gaze, he whispered something under his breath, the word unclear but spell like in nature. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my chest and I collapsed to the ground, unable to move. My hand fell to the sides as I tried to raise my head and break through the spell.

Concern was etched on Dion's face as he rushed to my side, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. My vision started to fade with the magic Elijah had used to incapacitate me. I tried to fight, but it was too strong.

And too much.

My eyes went shut tight as groans fled my throat.

Before darkness closed around me, I concentrated on the voice in my head, the voice that had always told me what to do and what to say, the voice that controlled me.

"Protego." I mumbled under my breath as something warm spread across my limbs before they began to function again.

Dion slipped his arm behind my back before raising me up from the ground as the spell broke. "Leave her alone, Elijah. I won't let you harm her." He warned him, but it wasn't going to be enough.

That man was strong, powerful and a practitioner of dark magic.

"In hell I will," Elijah sneered at Dion as we rose up from the ground. Just as I came to my feet, I looked in the direction of the door, prepared to flee. "You're a fool if you think she's innocent. She's working with my mother and she has you trapped in her spell. Why else do you think you're here, saving her? You're completely trapped."