ii. second chance at first line

"𝙃𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙢𝙚𝙩 𝙢𝙮 𝙨𝙞𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙧? 𝙄 𝙘𝙖𝙣𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙙𝙡𝙚 𝙬𝙚𝙞𝙧𝙙, 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙧𝙮 𝙖𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩

𝙝𝙖𝙣𝙙𝙡𝙚 𝙬𝙚𝙞𝙧𝙙, 𝙙𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙧𝙮 𝙖𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩."

; 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐘 𝐎𝐅 𝐔𝐒
𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐭 ;

⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯⊱⊰⋯⋯⋯⋯⋯

"All of your homework is complete? Nothing is going to be turned in late? I won't have bad grades this year, Indiana."

Indiana's father, Michael, questioned her.

The teenage girl nodded, just wanting to get to school. "Yes, everything's done."

Michael gave her a stern look, but accepted the answer. "Good. Now get out to the truck, I'll join you in a few minutes."

Indiana didn't give him an answer as she walked out of the living room and towards the front door. She exited the house as calmly and gently as she could since any little thing could set off her insufferable father.

Was she exaggerating?

No. Absolutely not. Michael Rowe was one of the worst men in the world. He barely acknowledged his wife ever since she got sick and that pissed Indiana off the most. The man was overall mean, believing he was better than anyone that ever had the displeasure of interacting with him. He even did everything in his power to make his daughter hate him, though maybe he was just like that as a person.

Indiana got it the worst, she always did. He would scream in her face anytime she made the tiniest mistake, he belittled her any chance he got, and he never missed the opportunity to give her a good hit across the face. Or something worse

The Rowe girl knew it wasn't okay to let him do these things, that she should tell someone. But she couldn't. She would never let anyone find about this.

As she shut the door to the truck, settling into the front seat to wait for her father, Indiana took a little time to compose herself. She wanted to yell at him back in the house, she wanted to scream about how a slip in her grades wouldn't be the worst thing. She wanted him to believe in her since she always did have acceptable grades despite him hinting that she didn't last year. Even if Indiana did, she thought it would have been fine. She was the new kid last year, so what if that caused her to have a little trouble focusing. Well... More than usual.