Chapter 15

Your eyes make me shy

Anaïs Nin—

STORMME

"Sir, here are the documents you asked for," Sable stepped into my office, her sleek frame enwrapped in a crimson dress and her blond hair swirled into an elegant knot at the nape of her neck.

I motioned to the leather chair across my desk and she followed my instruction, setting the pile of folders on my desk.

She batted her extended lashes, "You seem happier today."

"Isn't that a good thing? I've worked myself to the bone." I tapped my pen against a marketing sheet analysis. Profits have excelled exponentially, 15 million downloads in a month, that's a milestone." I raised the steaming hot coffee to my lips and sipped lightly.

"You have something here." She grabbed a piece of napkin and reached to wipe my mouth and I held her wrist. Flustered, the eager woman withdrew her hand.

"Thank you but I can do it myself. Professor Mayfield wants an interview at Oxford University, push that back for next week." Olivet and I were scheduled for our flight to Germany the next day, I can't delay the surgery.

"Thousands of students will be expecting you, why put it off now?" She frowned and crossed her arms, pouting like a pleading puppy.

"The University supports a charity for orphans. I'll donate due to my absence. I'm sure they'll appreciate it, also, please arrange the delivery of stuffed animals and toys for the kids, don't worry about the payment."

"As you wish." She excused herself.

My phone started vibrating and I plucked it from my pocket. Alexis? I answered. "Hello."

'When do you get off work?'

"In another hour." I got up and walked across the room to get my jacket.

She mellowed her voice and laid it on me thick, 'Let's grab lunch.'

"What's the occasion?"

The line goes silent for a moment before she speaks, 'Let's chat. I haven't seen you in a while.' She sounded like her arms would reach out any second and lock themselves around my neck. We used to play around, the media even branded us as a couple at one point but I had no interest in her.

"We agreed to meet each other unless it's business related."

'That thing you have going on with that poor fickle, it won't last. There's no way you'll settle for a low life —"

"Enough with your insults!" I barked, making her gasp. So what If Olivet and I are of different social standing? My bottom lip trembled. It doesn't give others the right to be judgmental. That damn woman who called herself my mother is determined to pair me with some rich high-end chick. She's unrelenting.

'Listen —" I disconnected the line and left my office.

The icy wind whipped through my hair as I sped down the freeway in my sports car. My thoughts went to Olivet and I longed for her, we've only been apart for a few hours and I miss her. I wondered if she missed me just as much. I'm damaged, she's broken. Like a butterfly, crushed to the earth by a raindrop, I wanted to give her wings back. I'd do anything to see her smile. To see her soar above my darkness. My feelings for her flared, melted —strong enough to crush titanium. I felt something in my chest, a fire that can end my world.

It scares me, wanting someone this much, this desperately. But f—k, I can't let her go, she's everything I never knew I needed. She consumes my thoughts in a way no woman has ever had. I've never put myself out there before. This is me throwing myself into a sea of waves, hoping there are arms to catch me. I can only hope and nothing else. It's a lonely thing protecting a breakable heart but when hers touched mine, suddenly, I wasn't so lonely anymore.