Chapter 25: A Plan

Meanwhile The Guardians of the Galaxy are in the Benatar and fly towards a massive skull and fly through one eyehole into a vast interior cavern.

Peter Quill: This place looks deserted.

Drax: I'm reading movement from the third quadrant.

Peter Quill: Yep. I'm picking that up, too. Let's put it down right here.

The four Guardians disembark and sneak into the Collector's collection room, which is in ruins. Thanos is threatening the Collector while the Guardians hide behind rubble.

Collector: I don't have it.

Thanos: Everyone in the Galaxy knows you'd sell your own brother if you thought it would add the slightest trinket to your pathetic collection.

Quill stops and holds up a fist meaning 'halt' in the silent language of soldiers. Everybody walks quietly past him.

Thanos: I know you have the Reality Stone, Tivan. Giving it to me will spare you a great deal of suffering.

Thanos places a heavy boot on the middle of the Collector's chest and presses.

Collector: I told you. I sold it. Why would I lie?

Thanos: I imagine it's like breathing for you.

Collector: Like suicide.

Thanos: So, you do understand. Not even you would surrender something so precious.

Collector: I didn't know what it was.

Thanos: Then you're more of a fool than I took you for. Last chance, Charlatan. Where's the Stone?

Drax: Today...

Peter Quill: Drax. Drax.

Drax: ...he pays for the deaths of my wife and daughter.

Peter Quill: Drax, waaaaait!

Drax draws his long dagger from his leg scabbard.

Peter Quill: Not yet, not yet, not yet.

Drax gives him a look and heads towards Thanos. Quill hurries as quietly as possible to catch up.

Peter Quill: Drax, Drax, Drax. He doesn't have the Stone yet. We get it, and then we can stop him. We have to get the Stone first. Yeah.

Drax: No. No. For Ovette. For Camaria.

Quill starts to struggle with Drax when Mantis puts her hand on the back of Drax's head.

Mantis: Sleeeep.

Drax is knocked out, his falling body causing a loud crash. Everybody ducks. Thanos looks towards the sound, then picks up the Collector and throws him into a collecting case before walking towards the disturbance.

Peter Quill: Okay. Gamora, Mantis, you go right. I'm...

Gamora moves towards Thanos.

Peter Quill: The other right!

Gamora leaps on Thanos from a stack of boxes, swinging her sword at him. He snaps the sword blade in half, and Gamora stabs him in the throat with the stub, his lower jaw sagging and himself letting out a hoarse groan, then he is stabbed in the chest with the red-jewelled dagger.

Thanos: Why? Why you? Daughter...

He holds his hand out to her, blood pooling out from his neck wound, before collapsing completely. Gamora breaks down, sobbing.

Peter Quill: That was quick.

Collector: Magnificent! Magnificent! Magnificent!

Suddenly, Thanos's disembodied voice fills the room.