6: Trees

November 13th

Saturday rolled around fast, thankfully because school was a bitch. I had so many papers to write and math assignments, but today is all about relaxation.

Dad and I went to the park an hour early to set up and begin making the food. He was working with the grill while I lined up some lawn chairs and arranged some chip bags and drinks. Only Sal told me what he was bringing, so I hope the others would bring drinks because we only had sweet tea and soda. Larry did call me yesterday to ask about what to bring, and he asked if he could bring some beer, which I of course told him, "Absolutely not". He wasn't too thrilled but abided by my wishes.

My mom would be here when everyone else arrived, she was busy at home making a cake.

The first to arrive were surprisingly Sal, Larry and Lisa. I thought for sure they would be last, because Larry always causes people to be late.

"Hey guys, hi Lisa," I greet the three of them.

"Hello dear," Lisa smiles, and hands me a 2 liter of mountain dew. Sal was holding the sour cream and onion chips.

"Sorry Katie, my dad couldn't make it. He was too busy with work, but he says he hopes we all have fun," Sal explains.

"Poor guy never gets to have fun himself," I sigh.

"Very true,"

My mom pulls up in her car, getting out holding the vanilla cake she just made.

"Why hello everyone!" She looks happy to see another adult. It hits me that this is the first time she's met Lisa.

"Hello Mrs. Gray, I'm Larry's mom, Lisa,"

"Oh please, call me Mary," My mom giggles.

I grab Sal and Larry and walk away from the two adults to let them have their conversation. I put the soda and chips they brought with the rest of the snacks.

"Chug will probably get here late, he was still at the vending machine when me and my mom left our apartment," Larry informs. I wonder what Chug does all day, I guess he just waits around for more snacks.

The three of us sit around in the lawn chairs that I made into a circle for us teens. The adults can sit at the picnic tables.

Todd and Neil arrive right on time, and Todd sets down a plastic container of cookies, which he said him and Neil made. Cute. Todd says his parents couldn't come sadly, because they were... high. Neil simply says his parents were both at work.

Ash walked here from her house because it was so close. Right when she gets here she apologizes for not bringing anything, explaining that she had to watch her younger brother for the past few days, and totally forgot to buy or make anything. I say it's alright but she continues talking about how annoying her brother is for stopping her from getting anything. I just let her rant.

Maple and Chug show up suspiciously together. I always had the feeling there was something between them, but maybe I'm wrong...

Maple offers me the sweet tea she brought, and I add it with the other goodies. Again, Maple and Chug say their parents couldn't make it. Seriously, is every parent in this place so uninvolved in their kids lives?

"Now that everyone is here, please help yourselves to my famous burgers!" my dad announces from the grill.

We all got up and got a hamburger bun and waited for my dad to give us a burger. I like just plain cheeseburgers. A patty, cheese, and ketchup. Call me lame and childish, but it tastes good to me. And Larry does call me lame. He laughs for way to long about how it's astounding that I can like such a boring burger.