chap 16: Room service

Principal Shelby comes back in and she almost screams when she sees me on the floor. She rushes to me trying to sit me up.

"It's okay just breath. Just breath", she says putting a hand on my chest. I nod trying to breath slowly and be as calm as possible.

My ragged breathing eventually calms down but I'm still a bit shaken. She offers me a bottle of water and I take it. After getting the cap off I take a small sip out of it.

"How are you feeling?", She asks and I nod.

"I'm okay", I slowly say and she nods.

"Come on", she calls out lending me a hand so she can pull me up. I take it and she succeeds in helping me up and I succeed in not pulling her down. I didn't actually put all my weight on her even if it was Loren she was pulling up and she happened to put her whole weight on her she'd fall.

"Have a seat", she says carefully watching me as she goes to sit down on the other side of the table. I take a seat in front of her. "Do you have these panic attacks frequently?", she asks.

"No, this is actually the second time", I say. After what happened with Sabrina Conner I've never actually had another panic attack. This is legitimately the second time and I'm hoping the last.

"When was the first time?", She asks and I look down at the bottle in my hand. My finger traces the letterings on it.

I look up, "It's uh, a long time ago".

She sighs, "Do you feel alright Abby? Should I call your parents?".

At the mention of parents my mind goes to my house and how it's just one left. My dad left without a warning and it got to me.. badly, very badly. I just couldn't understand why he would do that, why he would suddenly leave just like that. It hurts and it hurts even more that I miss him.

"No", I answer. I don't need my mum worrying over me for a panic attack I had just because I was scared of getting busted.

"Okay then but I advise you to go home", she says and I quickly decline.

"Oh no it's fine-

"I insist. I'll write you a permit now", she says and I sigh.

Principal Shelby takes out a paper and writes down on it. Afterwards she signs at the bottom of the little words she had written to sum up the permit. She then hands it to me, I take it.

"Okay now I want you to pack your things and go home.. make sure you have a good rest", she says and I nod.

"Um.. but, aren't you gonna tell me why you called me here?", I bravely ask and her eyes light up like she had just remembered what she was going to say before my panic attack popped up.

"Oh of course. Abby, you know you're one of our brightest students here and it would be a shame..", she trails looking down at her phone that had lit up due to a notification. I gulp, it would be a shame if you got a expelled.

"If you didn't participate in our new study camp program", she says finishing her sentence that I've been waiting for with bated breath. I let out a sigh of relief. Oh thank God it's not the other thing.. but wait did she say study camp?.

"What's that?", I ask and she smiles. Oh boy, it's that smile grown ups have when they're excited about something boring.

"It's a new program we're having this holiday. Since most of the study classes we've been doing haven't actually succeeded, we decided to have something different", she ends giving out a proud smile like she's just invented the means to stop world hunger.

"Which is?", I press on.

"We're giving students the chance to teach other students. It's going to be like a competition though", she says and there's a smile on my face now but it falters a bit with the competition word.