004| chapter four

"𝑴𝑶𝑴 𝑨𝑵𝑫 𝑫𝑨𝑫 𝑻𝑬𝑳𝑳 𝑼𝑺 𝑻𝑯𝑨𝑻 𝒀𝑶𝑼 𝑯𝑨𝑽𝑬 𝑨 𝑵𝑬𝑾 𝑭𝑹𝑰𝑬𝑵𝑫." 𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐃, tilting her head to the side.

Maeve sat beside her mother, her eyes offering a kind glance to the young redhead opposite her.

"His name is Rory," April spoke. "He lives here too."

Maeve nodded, offering the girl a smile. "But he's always sad." April said, confusion laced in her tone.

Maeve furrowed her eyebrows, tilting her head to the side. "Why is that?" Maeve asked.

April shook her head slightly. "He won't tell me but I think something bad happened to him."

Lorraine and Maeve share a look, turning back to April, Lorraine asked. "Do you mind if I try to see Rory?" The girl said nothing but handed Lorraine the music box.

She traced the outlines of the old trinket, eyeing at every detail. Opening the music box, it revealed a mirror, and as eerie music played, Maeve felt something, maybe even a presence, breathe down her neck.

She snapped her head around, a shiver running down her spine.

Maeve turned her attention back to her mother, her eyes growing with concern when Lorraine's eyes had widened. "Mom?" Maeve said softly, placing her hand on her mother's shoulder, trying to snap her attention back to the present. "Mom? What's wrong? What did you see?"

_____________

"WE BOUGHT IT AT A AUCTION FROM THE BANK, SO YOU KNOW, WE NEVER KNEW WHO LIVED HERE." 𝐑𝐎𝐆𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃, as Maeve's eyebrows arched while Lorraine and Ed shared glances.

"Well, Lorraine, Maeve I feel that what your house needs is a cleansing." Ed said.

"An exorcism."  Roger looked between Lorraine and Ed. "What? Exorcism?"

Roger and Carolyn both looked at each other, confused and worried. "I thought that was something that you do to people."

"No, not necessarily, no." Lorraine remarked.

Carolyn snapped her head to Roger. "We have to get out of here." She said, taking his hands into hers. "I'm afraid that's not gonna help." Ed stated, then turning to Lorraine.

"Lorraine saw something, which...Go ahead hon." The couple sat opposite them, frightened looks plastered on their faces.

"I've been seeing the dark entity that haunts your house, and your land." Lorraine begun.

"I saw it first when I came through your door. It was latched to your back. And then I saw it again with the girls when we walked into the living room. And it doesn't matter where you go..this dark entity has latched itself to your family and it's feeding off you."

Carolyn put her head in her hands. "Even if we leave?"

Maeve nodded, though no one noticed. "Sometimes when you get haunted, it's like stepping on gum. You take it with you." Ed says.

Carolyn looked frightened, worried, and Maeve couldn't help but feel bad for her.

"Look, I gotta tell you, you have a lot of spirits in here, but this is the one that I'm most worried about..because it is so hateful." Lorraine said.

"Okay, so what do we do? Can we call a priest?" Roger asked. "I wish it were that easy." Ed said, "performing an exorcism is an archaic procedure. Requires years of training. And even—" Ed paused, before looking at Lorraine.

"And even then, I have seen it go horribly wrong."

"But before we even get that far, the church has to authorise it first, means we gotta investigate, gather evidence and provide proof.. and that's the hard part."

...

Roger opens the door, stepping out into the sunlight, followed by Ed, Lorraine, Maeve and Carolyn. "Have your children been baptised?" Ed asked. "Uh, no, we never got around to that. We're not really a churchgoing family." Roger replied, ending his sentence with a light chuckle.

Ed turned to look at Roger. "Well, you may want to rethink that. Our presence here could make things worse."

"Why?" Carolyn asked.

"Because we're a threat." Maeve said quickly, as she walked passed them. "And whatever you're dealing with here isn't gonna like us." Ed continued.

"So far it hasn't done anything violent, and that's a good sigh. So we're gonna have our guy do some homework on the property to see what we're up against." Ed finished.

_____________

"WHAT'S GOING ON IN HERE?" MAEVE SMILED, as she strolled into Judy's bedroom, seeing her sister in bed with her mother  sitting beside her.

"Judy got me a locket." Lorraine smiles, showing the exact same locket Judy gave to her just a day prior.

Maeve nodded, before pulling hers out from her T-shirt. "She gave me one too, mines more special because—you know, I'm her favourite." Maeve said cheekily, grinning ear to ear when Judy nodded.

Lorraine turn to Judy with a pretend scowl as the youngest Warren started to giggle.

Maeve smiled as she sat down beside her mother, as Judy sat up properly. "This way, we'll always be together." Judy said, as Lorraine placed a kiss on Judy's head, then she wrapped her arm around Maeve's shoulder.

                _____________

- story is finally starting ahh!! also, i love judy smm she's so cute😭