005| chapter five

MAEVE TOSSED AND TURNED IN HER SLEEP, unable to find a comfortable spot so she could rest. She turned around, facing the wall, as she shut her eyes, hoping sleep would come and claim her.

Unfortunately, it did not.

She pressed her face into the pillow, sighing before turning on her left side again, and for one moment, she swore that she was starting to drift off.

That was until when that one thought, that one thing forbidding her to rest, forbidding her to even 'let her eyes rest' came back to her, and haunted her mind again.

Cursing quietly, she turned back around, facing her wall.

But it was no use, there would be no sleeping tonight for Maeve Warren.

Getting up from her bed, she took a jumper that was thrown on her messy desk, pulling it over her head. She walked to her door, opening it slowly as it made a creaking noise, she cringed at the sound of it, scrunching her nose before she closed it, tiptoeing past Judy, and her parents room.

Maeve held onto the banister as she creeped downstairs.

Since it was dark, and there was no light in the hallway or the kitchen. Maeve had to hold onto the walls to keep her balance and so she wouldn't trip over anything and wake everyone up.

She creeped down the hallway, opening the door to the bathroom, and turning on the light.

She pressed her hands onto the sink, sighed deeply.

Turning on the tap, she leaned her face down to the sink as she splashed cold water onto her face. "Boo!"

Maeve jumped, nearly hitting her head on the cabinet above the sink as she turned around so fast.

She swore she heard something, or could that be just her imagination?

A sudden gust of wind hit the bathroom window, making Maeve jump again as she held her heart.

She bended over before sighing and letting out a small chuckle. "God. I need sleep." Maeve said in her mind, rolling her eyes at herself, she turned off the tap, before opening the door.

"Honey. What are you doing up?" Ed asked, making Maeve jump once again.

"Dad! You nearly gave me a heart-attack!" Maeve hissed, walking over to her father.

_____________

"WHAT'S UP WITH YOU?" 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐖 𝐀𝐒𝐊𝐄𝐃, as he closed his van door shut, looking at Maeve and noticing how her usual mood seems brighter then how she looks at this moment.

Her hair was bushy, all naughty in the back, she looked abit pale and what was really concerning is that she was quiet.

She turned to look at him. "Got no sleep last night." She said.

Drew nodded. "Yeah. I can see that." A light smirk appeared on his face when Maeve shoved him away playfully, walking back over to her parents and a guy that she hasn't see before.

"Drew, Maeve, this is Office Brad." Lorraine introduced. "Brad. This is Maeve, my eldest daughter."

Maeve nodded with a smile, Brad returning the smile.

Maeve felt odd being introduced like that, it just was weird to her, but this is Maeve Warren were talking about, she think's everything is weird.

The girl walked over to her father.

"Officer Brad Hamilton, Harrisville, Rhode Island P.D." Brad introduced himself to Drew, as he shook his hand. "Hm. Nice to meet you, man." Drew greeted, taking a bite out of his biscuit.

"So you're the lucky new cop, huh?" He asked. "Guess so." Brad replied.

Maeve smirked, knowing where this was about to go. "You know you can't shoot ghosts, right?" Drew asked, a smirk plastered on his lips. "Take it easy on him, Drew." Ed said, turning his head to Drew and Brad.

Drew grinned, turning back to his van. "All right, guys, help me get this stuff unloaded."

Maeve picked up some of his technical gear, before following her mother into the house. "Hi Roger." Lorraine said kindly, as Roger opened the door, letting everyone walk inside.

"Where should I put these?" Maeve asked Drew. "Just put them on the ground." Drew said.

...

It was only a few hours later since The Warrens, Drew and Brad arrived at the Perrons home.

Maeve walked down the hallway, where she saw her mother and Carolyn talking. Maeve past them, shooting her mother a smile and walked on.

Maeve walked into the Rogers office, seeing Drew finish up with something. She walked up to him.

"What's that?" She asked. "UV light. Here, put your hand flat out on the desk." Drew said. Maeve looked up at him, shrugging as she put her hand on the desk.

"And take it off." She took it off, Drew handed her a UV light before switching it on as Maeve's hand was printed out on the desk, she grinned and looked back up at him, who was grinning at her.

"See? It just reveals to us what the naked eye can't see." Drew said, glanced at the desk before looking back at Maeve who was still astounded.

He glanced over her features, her soft brown eyes, her rosy cheeks, and her bushy, long hair. "Pretty far out, isn't it?" Drew asked.

Maeve nodded, looking back up at him. "Yeah."

It was quiet for a few seconds, except for the occasional glances the two were share with each other.

That is until Ed walked in the room, breaking the moment up. "Drew, you got the Bolex ready for Brad?" Ed asked, as Maeve moved out of the way.

"Yeah, already locked and loaded, sir." Drew answered.

Ed nodded, looking between his daughter and Drew, about to say something when they hear a door opening.

Maeve snaps her head to the door opening, as she glances at her father before walking out the door, followed by Drew and Ed.

Maeve sees her mother and Carolyn standing in the hallway, as they slowly walks towards it.

She slowly puts her hand in her back jean pocket, feeling the metal sting of the pocket knife her father had gifted her when she was 15.

Lorraine went nuts.

Maeve could remember specifically and weirdly the way Lorraine scolded
Ed for gifting his daughter a pocket knife.

This was neither the place or time to think about that.

Then Brad comes out, making Maeve sigh, her head resting on the door frame as she removed her hand from her back pocket. "What? I had to go?" Maeve sent Brad a glare before walking away.

_____________

- chapter five is finally edited!! enjoy the chapter and wherever you are have a good blessed day or night.