🔪 competition

Rody peeked into his room. Vince did forbade him to visit his office, but he forgot about all that. Vince had been in a bad mood the entire day, and now was sitting in his chair smoking and reading a newspaper under a lamp. Rody had a sudden feeling that that was the only thing he had done in the last 2 hours.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing. None of your business."

"Oh c'mon, I've nothing to do."

"Here. Read it yourself." said Vince, tossing the paper at him and taking the cigarette out of his mouth, turning his head to the side.

Rody's eyes widened at the sight of one of the columns. Another newer bistro around the area had been hugely increasing in popularity after new advertising advancements were made. It seemed like it would surpass Vince's in due time.

"Ehh, you can't say I never saw this coming," said Vince. "I just didn't expect it to happen now."

"What exactly?"

"Being surpassed. Every high will become a low at some point. That's the problem. And now I gotta solve it." said Vince, standing up. "Otherwise this is gonna take a toll on my sales... you can't have two equally successful businesses in the same area. Not to mention..." he sneered, "their boss is absolutely infuriating."

"What do you mean?"

"That guy's entire existence is made of lies. He gets someone to work with, then tosses them out when they're no longer in use. I've met him before. And the thing is, he's insanely good at it. Everyone just thinks of him as a good natured guy. What a psychopath (I wouldn't say that if I were you... thought Rody) People like him are gonna get exposed sooner or later..." he sighed.

"I mean, I can really tell why he's getting more popular than you."

"What is it?"

"Better advertising, more staff, the menu is more diverse, and he... looks like a likable person."

"Hey, the menu is one of the most remarkable things about my bistro. And you're seriously judging him like that too?" Vince glared over, "you're no better than the crowds of people out on the streets."

"Uh, I'm just saying that the restaurant overall looks more eye catching... avant-garde, you could say."

"I'm not changing anything for this."

Rody thought for a moment. "Well, you don't have to. Just accent the remarkable things, I guess. You'll need to get yourself out there though."

"Ugh, that's the thing. Advertise, advertise, it's not that I can't, but I'm... not really suitable? God, I can't take negotiations and marketing. Wait," said Vince, turning over to him and pausing. "Okay, you're in charge of it now."

"WHAT?"

"I said, you're in charge of negotiations and marketing. Do something useful."

"What am I supposed to do??"

"Figure out something that works." he looked at Rody as if it was really obvious.

"Okay, and what if I don't? Wait, nevermind." Rody made a mental reminder not to say anything risky again.

Rody left the room. Vince looked out the window through the blinds. The street lights outside glowed brilliantly against the paper-tan colored shops. The chattering of people outside could nearly drown out his thoughts.

It's been 6 years...

~~~~~~~~~~A/N~~~~~~~~~~

The next chapter may be a bit delayed. I'm currently developing plot, so it'll take a while, but it's gonna come :)

 I'm currently developing plot, so it'll take a while, but it's gonna come :)