18

Christmas Day
Last year (Part 1)

Dallas

I've always loved Christmas.

Tis the season to be jolly, after all. I mean, what's not to love? Presents, eggnog—no, scratch that, eggnog is far too overhyped in my opinion—I much prefer hot chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate shavings sprinkled on top. The snow is also great, but the chance of snowfall in Redfield are almost as rare to see as Halley's Comet. There's also binge watching all Christmas themed movies/tv series—unless you're a grinch at heart and think that Christmas movies are lame. Another plus to Xmas season is the beauty of lights and decorations.

The point I am trying to make is that Christmas, no matter how old you are, is the most beautiful time of the year—to say otherwise is folly.

"Merry Christmas!" My mom beamed as I entered the living room the following morning.

Her, my dad and Mitchell were already seated on the couch with four steaming mugs of cinnamon and caramel lattes—a Christmas morning family tradition.

"Merry Christmas." I yawned, still tired from my inability to sleep last night.

I never could sleep the night before Christmas.

After taking a moment, sitting down and drinking our lattes, the opening of presents commences.

My gifts included;
- Pyjamas.
- Board Shorts.
- T-shirts (long-sleeved and short-sleeved)
- Sweaters.
- Socks.
- A pair of Converse shoes.
- A dozen books.
- Men's fragrance.
- And a pair of AirPods.

All from my parents.

My brother had gotten me a skateboard. Because apparently I seem like a skater to him?

Mitch and I had chucked in together to get our parents a couples weekend getaway, along with a fancy necklace for mom and a fancy watch for dad.

My gift to Mitchell was a sweater that had 'I am an idiot' embroidered into it, along with a gift card for Starbucks.

And the gifts that Mitchell had received from our parents were almost identical to mine, except they traded airpods for a few necessities for his car; car freshener, seat covers, etc.

Then, of course, there were the gifts from Grandma Cora;
- Matching family sweaters, ugh.
- $100 each.
- and a massive Christmas hamper.

"Will Grandma be having Christmas dinner with us this year?" I asked.

"Not this year." Mom says. "But we have been invited to have dinner with your friend, Lucy's, father."

"Uh..." I started.

"What?" Mom wondered.

"It's just... Grayson invited me to his house. His whole family will be there, and he wanted me to meet everyone." I say.

"Uh, rude!" Mitchell scoffed. "Where was my invite?"

"He invited you too, idiot..." I say. "He actually invited us all."

"And Diana is okay with that?" Dad wondered.

Probably not....

"Grayson assured me that she will be on her best behavior." I stated.

Mom and dad mulled it over for a moment before responding. "Sure, we can go if you want to."

Yes!

I instantly reached for my phone in my pocket so that I could text Grayson the news.

Me:
My mom and dad said yes!