28

Dallas

So far, the New Year wasn't looking all that great. It's funny how at the end of every year all anyone imagines is that their new year will be different for them; that it will be the best year ever! That all of their dreams will come true. If only it were that simple, huh?

Perhaps next year will be my year?

I hadn't seen Grayson since that night after he had gone to the emergency room, which was over a week ago. I blamed myself for what happened to him, which was why I didn't want to see his face. Another face that I did not want to see belonged to Avery, which explained why I was sleeping in Lucy's dorm room—in the empty bed that belonged to Hannah, who was awol.

I wonder where she is? I thought.

"Have you heard from Grayson?" Lucy asked me as we walked across campus. "I know that he's been wanting to talk with you."

I shake my head in response.

There was still this awkwardness between us, which was pretty much a given since she was secretly dating my brother! I mean, it's weird! It's not just me who thinks that, right? It can't be.

Then again, I'd imagine Mitchell wasn't all that pleased when he found out about Grayson and I being in a relationship. Is it the same thing?

"I still can't believe that son of a bitch drugged you!" Lucy cursed from beside me. "Like what the actually fuck? Are you sure you're okay?"

I was too busy scanning the campus for said 'son of a bitch' to even respond. But, to be perfectly candid, I was getting sick and tired of answering that question.

Are you okay?

Like, sure, I've had just about the worst few weeks of my life but yeah, I am feeling great!

Thumbs up!

#LifeIsGood!

"I still think you should go to the dean's office and tell her what happened. Hopefully Avery will be expelled and forced to go to community college or something. Or better yet, he should be locked up with his crazy dad." Lucy continued speaking, which was becoming quite annoying, but I didn't want to be rude and tell her to shut up so I guess I just have to endure her, at least until we get to class. "I'm just so mad at him."

You and me both.

Even with Lucy attempting to distract me from my own head, a dozen thoughts wouldn't leave me alone.

How is Grayson doing?

Is he okay?

And where the fuck is Avery?

Is he planning to attack me?

Or are they planning another attack on Grayson?

When did my life become such a shit-show?!

"Do you know if Grayson is pressing charges against them?" Lucy wondered.

"I haven't spoken to Grayson, which I have already told you." I snapped, instantly feeling regret. "Sorry, I'm just.... I'm tired."

It wasn't a total lie.

"No, I'm sorry." She says, frowning. "I'm just so worried about you."

"Lucy, I'm fine." I tell her. "In fact, all I want to do is focus on classes."

"Bet."

We head inside of our class and take a seat somewhere in the middle as we waited for the lecture to begin.