33

Lucy

"Who was that?" I asked my boyfriend.

Wow.

I can't believe that I have a boyfriend.

Like, I actually have a boyfriend!

I promise I am not one of those girls who squeal dramatically just because they have a boyfriend. But I am so fucking happy, like, extremely happy, which is something I never thought I would be, especially with a guy like Mitchell.

Sue me for being happy.

"Dallas." He answered with a heavy breath. "He called looking for Grayson."

Oh my god, please tell me they're getting back together!

I am manifesting.

"He's dropping out of school."

What!?

"Why would Dallas drop out?" I wondered in a panic.

"No, not Dallas." He explained further, putting my mind at ease. "Grayson."

Thank god.

The way I would have hunted Dallas down.

"Grayson's dropping out?" I asked for clarification.

"Yep." He sighed.

"Why?" I wondered.

"He didn't really say." Mitchell responded with an almost too subtle hint of anger. "Maybe college is too hard for him?"

"I'm not surprised he wants to leave." I say. "I mean, he's been through a lot. If I got hit by a car and lived to tell the tale, I wouldn't bother with college."

"But it's always been our dream to go here together." Mitchell says. "To share a dorm and play football."

Oh...

He's really upset about this?

Ok... uhm.

"Maybe that's still your dream." I say with a careful tone. "But Grayson's dream changed the day he got hit by a car."

Mitchell turned to face me, his eyes widened in realisation. "Right." He breathed. "I don't know why I'm being so... you know?"

"I think you're just upset that your best friend wants to leave." I say.

When I became a shrink, I have no clue.

Mitchell finally clears his throat and straightens his posture—as if to rebuke his own vulnerability. "Do you want to go see a movie or something?"

I smiled.

"Are you asking me on a date?" I teased.

"Fine, I'll go by myself." He rolled his eyes before smiling back at me. "Yeah, I am."

I pretended to think on it, just to tick him off, before finally responding. "Fine, but I get to choose the movie."

"Deal."

Cody

I was walking down the hall when a hand lands on my shoulder. "Are you avoiding me?" Quinn asked.

"Why would I be avoiding you?" I wondered.

"I just haven't seen much of you lately." She says.

"I've been busy." I lied.

In all truth, I was avoiding her. Well, not just her, I was also avoiding Jonah.

"Really?" Her interest seemed to peak.