First Day of School

Optimus: "This goes here... no that doesn't seem right... Maybe tuck it into this hole then... No that won't work... Scrap. This is harder than it looks."

Optimus sighed as he stared at himself in the mirror of his dorm room. He was wearing U.A.'s school uniform. He heard Miko say that schools in Japan required people to wear uniforms, one of the reasons she liked the U.S. so much, they didn't make her wear, as she called them, 'those prissy uniforms'. 

Two months had passed since the entrance exam. During that time Optimus was getting ready for the school year. Getting all his textbooks and school supplies, submitting costume ideas to the Support Department, doing more studying, training, etc. It was now April and school was starting today. Optimus had showered, changed, and collected all his supplies. But one thing stood in the Last Prime's way.

He didn't know how to tie a necktie.

Being recently human, Optimus didn't have much experience with clothing. He mostly wore the clothes he arrived in this world with, with some comfortable sleepwear. This was his first time wearing something as nice as a uniform, and consequently, his first time tying a necktie. He had watched several videos on how to do it, but that wasn't helping all that much.

To others, this would have been funny. The great Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobots, last of the Primes, and Savior of Earth and Cybertron is defeated by a mere necktie. He knew Ironhide would have a field day.

Thinking about his old friend brought a frown to his face, how he failed to save him during the exodus from Cybertron. He closed his eyes and shook his head.

Optimus: "Focus."

Optimus told himself as he pocketed the tie. He would figure out the piece of cloth later. Right now it would be best if he got to class.

Grabbing his school bag, he moved to exit the door, hand on the knob. Before he opened it, he took a breath to calm himself. If all those Earth movies Jack, Miko, and Raf showed him taught him one thing it was that he was about to enter a place that no amount of training could prepare him for. A soul-bruising, confidence-crushing, apocalyptic environment:

High school.

***

Optimus had never been to the main campus building in the year he's been living in the dorms. Nezu had forbidden him from entering because he wasn't yet an official student, which was fine with Optimus. He would need to earn the privilege to walk in these school halls. He would've been lost but he thankfully found a map and was able to find his way to his classroom, 1-A.

Soon Optimus arrived and was surprised.

Optimus: That is a big door.

Indeed. The entrance to 1-A's classroom was very tall, not as tall as he was in his Cybertronian form but close. Optimus figured it must be for people whose Quirks make them very tall. That was considerate of U.A. 

He entered the classroom and saw there were 21 seats in rows of 5, 6 tables for the row close to the window, and 5 for the rest. Seeing as there was no one else here, not even the teacher, Optimus took the odd seat in the very back. His eyesight as a human was perfect so there would be no need for him to sit so close to the front. He'd let his classmates have that advantage.

He sat down and waited for class to begin. He looked at the clock and saw he was there almost an hour before school started. He guessed those habits of being early from his days as an archivist and a soldier stuck with him in his human body.

Optimus then took a look out the window. The Sun had just risen over the horizon, illuminating the city of Mustafa. Cars were back up in traffic and people were walking on the road without a care in the world. The birds were flying in the air, some perches on branches, enjoying the quiet.