Chapter 6

Kyrell

When I heard the news of the Queen entering the prince's palace and dismissing his tutor I was furious that she didn't heed my warning.

She deliberately went to the prince and interfered with those I hired.

When she entered, her body looked ethereal in the dress she wore. Her eyes match too well. It is distracting.

I shake away the thought. This is how she tries to convince you to be on her side. She looks regal and her posture looks like she came here for a fight.

It seems that last time I met her wasn't a dream. She is not infatuated with me, her gaze stern on mine.

While I don't care much about the dismissal of Madam Penning. I care about the Queen's interference in the prince's life.
Whenever she spoke, she remained cool headed and didn't lash out like the rumors.

"What right does she have to abuse the prince that holds a higher position than her. You are belittling the prince if you say that she can punish him as she pleases. While Your Majesty may enjoy not involving yourself in the prince's daily life, I do and I will not stand for a teacher that uses lashes on the prince of our kingdom."

Her words cut right through me. Lashes are being used against my own son. Have I failed so much in protecting him? I give him everything he needs so he never asks for anything. Was I missing this all along?

The moment Alastair walked into the Queen seemed more relaxed. She smiles at Alastair instead of the harsh looks she gives me.

And Alastair returns them.

"It is true that Madam Penning was using lashes to punish me on every little thing." His voice is confident. The Queen gave him the confidence to say those words. She was able to give him something that I couldn't.

Was I wrong all this time? Whatever it is, she helped this one time.

As soon as Madam Penning is dragged from the room, Estella collapses near Alastair. Is she alright? Does she have a fragile body for her to fall like that?

I know I shouldn't approach her, but something feels different than the other times she has been with me.

I gently help her up but she flinches away from my touch. It's odd that I feel hurt by the gesture but ignore it.

"Alastair, how are your wounds?" I look to him, worried of Madam Penning's wrongdoings.

"They are no longer there. Her Majesty helped them heal faster. She tended to my wounds." He smiles at Estella. They seem to get along very well, it bothers me. And how is it possible for her to wrap someone else's wounds?

The Estella I know would only cause bloodshed, not mend other's wounds.

"I can take responsibility for finding a new teacher. I can take charge of my duties as a queen, the prince's education is part of that."

She wants to complete her duties as a queen? It would be a great way to test her allegiance. If she makes a mistake it would be easier if it was out in the open.

For now I'll allow her to do her queenly duties and have responsibility over the prince's education. Keeping a close eye on her to see if she slips.

*****

Estella

August and September soon passed and I preoccupied myself with improving the Star Palace. Making sure that Alastair is living in comfort.

I have also been working to prepare the gala where the ball will take place. Balls are a way of showcasing your status and power.

If I do well on hosting the ball, my reputation will go up. And possibly improve my relationship with other nobles that only know me as the evil daughter of the Claudonia family. Though I know that the Spring's Ball is hosted by the royal family, I'm surprised that the king decided to give me the responsibility.