Chapter 8

January soon came around, meaning it is my birthday today. The King seems to be keeping his distance from me ever since the whole curse incident.

Did he find something out? Whatever it was, I'm glad I don't have to face him.

However, today I'm not so lucky. Because it is my birthday, most expect a grand party for the Queen.

It did not request one, instead I called for a small dinner with the family. I want Kyrell to improve his relationship with his son. And what a better opportunity than a dinner.

My expectations for this dinner were higher than I expected. Ever since the event it has been awkward between all of us, except Alastair and I.

Kyrell sat at the head of the table and I was to his right. Alastair sat across from me.

"Happy Birthday, Mother." Alastair greets. "How has your day been?"

"It's been wonderful, but the best part is that I can share dinner with my family." I smile at him, while Kyrell glances at us. I bet he feels like a third wheel.

"Yes, Happy Birthday, my Queen." Kyrell says, beginning to eat.

"Did you like the present I gave you?" Alastair adds, before taking a bite.

"I loved it very much." Alastair gave me a hand drawn portrait similar to the one he gave his father but it was neatly framed.

I take a quick peek at Kyrell, who seems to pause. He didn't give me a gift. Though I don't need one from him, I thought that maybe we are getting closer. I guess I was mistaken.

After that the dinner went on nicely. It was a calm birthday dinner which I liked. I know I shouldn't but I can't help but admire Kyrell's looks.

His red ruby eyes are so captivating. His broad shoulders and chest that seem to complete him. He's gorgeous but no matter how much I may want him. He isn't mine to have.

*****

After the dinner ended, Kyrell decided to escort me back to my palace. Which I thought was odd.

Before I could enter the palace doors, he stopped me.

"I know Your Majesty may have a lot of jewelry but I wanted to give you a present anyway." He says, reaching into his suit pocket.

"Your Majesty didn't have to get me anything." I declined the gift.

"It didn't have to but I did. Turn around and raise your hair."

I do as he commands, lifting my hair up. I feel something cold being wrapped around my neck. A necklace which he clasped. I'm glad he didn't touch me. I wouldn't know what to say if he saw me flinch again.

Attached to the silver chain was a small teardrop amethyst. Above the large gemstone was a small ruby that sat on the metal attaching the purple gem to the silver chain.

I stare at it. It's a warning.

A warning that he will always be above me, watching me. If I make the wrong move, he will drop me.

"It's lovely, Your Majesty. Thank you for thinking of me." I ignore his threat.

"Yes, well then, good night." He leaves me at the front with a bittersweet taste in my mouth.

It seems he will never change. In the past nine months, he has remained cautious even when I haven't done anything.

I tried to prove my innocence by avoiding anything the previous Estella did. But it doesn't seem to work.