Chapter 50 - Nothing

After I hadn't answered for a few seconds, Cato sat up hurriedly.

"Rose, what's wrong?" Cato repeats with a slight edge in his tone. He places his cold hand against the small of my naked back, making me shiver.

Maybe I'm overreacting... I mean, I can't ensure that I would even be pregnant until two weeks after possible conception, so it's way too early to tell. Plus, sex does not always lead to immediate pregnancy. I learned in health class that there is a period of about a week and a half of every month where women can't get pregnant. I'm praying to the heavens that this is the case.

I only just turned sixteen. I can't have a baby so early. Yes, I can take care of any kid, from the troublemakers to the silents, but that only works when the baby isn't mine. My mother would have a heart attack, and if Katniss was here, she'd kill me before the baby could even think about beginning to develop. I'm not ready, and I should have known that before engaging in this activity without thinking about the consequences.

Who can think with Cato around, though? Technically, this potential dilemma is all his fault. He has the painful ability to blind a girl with a single smile, his teeth shining bright like the moon, and his eyes burning into mine like the sun when I try to look up at it. Cato is the perfect distraction, but he's the worst distraction as well. Just a single kiss from that man turns my heart into a liquid mass of what looks like red dye instead of my organ. I really need to learn to control myself with him. That way I can avoid stuff like this.

If it is true, Cato would make the perfect dad, unlike me being a Mommy. He's very protective of anything he feels an inkling of love for. He has a heart of steel, but also a heart of gold. He loves so hard that it's impossible for him to focus on anything else. Cato is caring, and would make sure that the baby had everything it needed, and all the love it wanted, even if it meant he'd have to suffer.

Just thinking about it makes me smile. Seeing Cato with his baby girl, smiling down at her while she grips onto her Daddy's pinky as if it were what was keeping her alive.

God, what am I gonna do?

"Ok, Rose," Cato interrupts my thoughts. "While you stare into space, I'm going to shower. You want to join?"

My eyes widen, but not at the thought of showering with Cato. Should I tell him, or wait until I can confirm it? I don't want to throw it on him and have him either angry or happy for something that won't be true in the future...

No. I can't tell him.

I've got about a month until we get back to the Capitol where I can be appropriately tested by professionals. That way, I won't be stirring up any drama.

My vision is blinded as Cato places a kiss on my lips. "I'll take that as a no."

Cato jumps up from the bed completely nude, making his way to the bathroom leisurely.

Since I'm unsure of anything, I should act as though nothing is wrong. That shouldn't be hard, anyway. Effie opening her mouth could yield any of my thoughts... it could also make me sick, but we're not gonna go there.

Bracing myself, I slowly rise, trying hard not to disturb the possible seed, even though it's not even big enough to sleep. I carefully lower Cato's shirt over my body to cover my private areas, slipping on my underwear as well.

Today was my 'day off' as Effie put it. We had been through three districts already, and I really was looking forward to a nice rest. It takes almost two days to get to district four, so we'd all be resting until then, thank heavens.

Maybe Cato and I could stay in, watch a movie and have food sent to our room so we wouldn't have to leave? Yes, that would be nice.

I should shower... my skin is covered with sticky sweat and I basically smell like sex, and Cato... I feel my cheeks grow with a smile at the memories of last night. The man was good at everything he did.