Perfect

Summary: The reader struggles with body image issues and negative self-talk.

TW: Discussions of body insecurity (stretch marks and size), mentions of body shaming.

Remember that no matter what shape or size you are, you are perfect, you matter, and you are worthy of love.

"Come on, Y/N— give me two more," Nat instructs, crossing her arms above you. You lay on the bench, grunting as you complete your last set of bench presses, pushing and pulling the heavy bar to your chest and above your head. Every muscle in your body is burning and sweat glistens on your forehead.

You shout as you breathe through your last rep, pushing the bar back into its hooks with a slam before breathlessly rising from the bench. Training with Nat is never easy, she makes you miserable and works you until you're dead, but she gets results. And results are what you're looking for.

You catch your reflection in the mirrors of the compound's gym, cringing at your reddened face and sweaty workout shirt clinging to your torso in all the wrong places. You pull at the shirt harshly, peeling it from your dampened curves and sucking in your belly before following Nat to the lockers. You stare at her for a moment as she grabs her water bottle, wearing athletic leggings and a tight, cropped black tank. She's effortlessly beautiful. The clothes cling to her curves attractively, her hips are perfectly round and muscular, and her soft abs peek through the space between her leggings and top. Jealousy pangs in your chest and you turn away to find your oversized hoodie in your gym bag.

You've always been a little bit bigger than your friends for as long as you can remember. In grade school, you were the one who refused to sit at lunch because you didn't want your thighs to flatten. In high school, you dreaded going to the pool in the summer because you didn't want people the way your belly hung a little bit over your bikini bottoms. In reality, you weren't that much bigger than your friends, but the mind has a funny way of lying to itself. Most of that weight went away by the time you were in college, but now stretch marks run down your soft belly, around the curves of your hips, and even on the tops of your shoulders.

"Aren't you hot in that?" Nat asks, pointing at your hoodie.

"No. I always get cold after workouts... I guess the adrenaline wears off or something," you babble, making up a lame excuse.

"Interesting, I'm always burning up after a workout," Nat quirks an eyebrow.

"Maybe I'm just weird then," you state awkwardly, hoping she drops the topic. She eyes you briefly before changing the subject, sensing your odd behavior but deciding not to pry.

"Well, I'm gonna go shower. Stark wants all of us to meet in the commons at 6:00. Word on the street is there's gonna be pizza!" She shouts the last part as she exits the gym.

Friday's are the Avenger's "family" nights. Tony brings food and booze, and everyone else figures out activities. You usually end up sipping beers with Sam and making fun of everyone else. Half of the team is away on a mission, so it'll be a bit smaller tonight, just you, Sam, Steve, Tony, Thor, Wanda, Nat, and Bucky.

You grab your stuff and head to the elevators, hitting the Avengers' floor and speeding to your bathroom. The quicker you can shower and fix your appearance, the better. You turn on the faucet and strip off your sweaty clothes, avoiding the mirror as you step into the shower. Warm water cascades down your body as you run your hands over every stretch mark, dimple, and fold, grabbing your extra tummy skin firmly. You sigh deeply and fight the tears stinging your eyes, quickly finishing your shower. You jump out and dress in a matching black sweat set, slicking your hair into a low bun and doing your makeup.