Good Hair Day

Summary: The story of a handsome supersoldier and a French braid.

Curled up on the plush couch in the safety of your room, your eyes dance across the final pages of the book you've immersed yourself in for the last few hours. The words come alive as you jump across them, forming an action-packed movie in the depths of your mind. A deep sigh escapes your mouth as the story's final words seep into your mind, concluding the story and leaving you speechless and a little exhausted.

You were always a little sad when you finished reading books. Seeing characters grow throughout a narrative always astounded you along with the attachments you built to them. You know they aren't real, but sometimes you like to think that somewhere, they are... and you were one of the lucky few who got to admire them. You got to tag along on their adventures, fight off bad guys, and fall in love just as much as they did.

You close the book and look around the room, eyes slowly readjusting to the lighting after being strained for so long. You stretch with a loud yawn, sliding further down on the couch to rest your head on a throw pillow and snuggle into your blanket. Your eyes grow heavier by the second, the arms of sleep pulling you into a gentle hug as you drift off. 

...

"No! C'mon, man. That's cheating!"

"It's called using my resources, Steven."

"Buck, he's right! That's totally cheating!"

Your eyes dart open as your body jolts awake in a panic, muffled shouts filling your ears. Realizing your surroundings and remembering your post-book decision to nap, your eyes widen as you scramble for your phone to look at the time.

8:27 PM

"Fuck," you groan, rubbing the sleep from your eyes and throwing the blanket off of you.

You hated oversleeping. It ruined your whole routine and made you feel off-balance. Luckily, you only had a few hours before you usually sleep, so you could eat a late dinner and hang out with everyone before bed. You were tired enough to sleep more but decided against it so you wouldn't wake up at an ungodly hour.

The muffled shouts resume as you check your appearance, making you jump as you hear Steve yelling profanities. Odd... you think. Steve doesn't usually yell like that. You hurriedly fix your mussed hair and wipe the smudged mascara from your eyes before going to see what the fuss is about.

Following the shouts to the common area, you find the team scattered about the room, lounging on the large sectional surrounding the huge flatscreen TV Tony claimed was "an absolute necessity."

Walking further into the room, you see Steve, Sam, and Bucky playing a video game you recognize to be Super Smash Bros., the game Sam decided to teach them when he got sick of losing to everyone else. Their eyes are glued to the screen as they sit cross-legged on the floor, black cords stringing from their controllers to a game console.

The boys appear to be in a heated discussion about Bucky's methods of throwing people off of the game's fighting stage to win. Steve and Sam yell as Bucky continues to use his character's super strength to attack them while they're distracted. Tony heckles them from a recliner waiting for his turn, threatening to smash the console if Bucky continues cheating.

Looking for a spot on the sectional, you see Wanda and Nat sipping drinks and making quiet conversation.

"Y/N! Where have you been? Come sit down!" Wanda greets you with a hug as she scoots over so you can plop down between her and Nat.

"Hey, Wands! What's going on?" you ask, settling into your seat.

"It's nothing," Nat squeaks with widened eyes.