heart eyes

Every one hundred years the Hunters of Artemis had a game among themselves to test their trainings and skills. It was a friendly competition, filled with battles of wit and strength. I had never been on a losing team. 

But there was a first time for everything, I guess. 

The journey to Camp Half Blood was short, thanks to Apollo's Sun Chariot. He was a menace, but he could be useful when he wanted to be. 

"Alright, Gab, here we are." Zoe handed me my bag and bow as I got out of the car. 

"Ugh, even standing a hundred yards away is punishment enough." I groaned, taking the bag from my sister. The punishment for the loser of the games was spending a summer at Camp Half Blood, instructing demi-gods and soaking up the sun, or something like that. 

I wasn't looking forward to it, not just because I didn't like camp. I had spent quite a few summers sleeping in cabin 10. I didn't have the most pleasent memories.

"You're good for nothing, heart eyes. You can't get a man to fall in love with you and you can't even hold the weight of a sword." Keith, son of Ares and team captain, taunted me as I had lost us yet another game of capture the flag. 

I blinked back tears, heading to the lake. I stared at my relection in the water. My eyeliner had been smudged in the game, I had given it my all but in the end I had been unable to hold my own in hand to hand combat. 

Keith was a jerk, but he was right. I was the only daughter of Aphrodite without a gaggle of boys drooling all over me. I couldn't french braid, I couldn't even match a foundation shade correctly. What was worse, I had no survival skills. I didn't fit in anywhere. 

Or so I had thought. 

Artemis found me on a field trip to Mount Olympus, sensing my longing for a sisterhood, a place to belong. She told me she would never normally offer a spot to a daughter of Aphrodite, but something was telling her she should. 

So in front of my mother, much to her absolute horror, I took the "virginity pledge" as she had phrased it, and joined the hunt. 

"I will see thee in three months time." Zoe bid me goodbye. 

I took a deep breath, taking the final steps into the horrors I was sure were waiting for me within the magical barrier of Camp Half Blood. 

If only I knew how right I had been.