i lose another sister

It was raining, which meant that all camp activities for teh day were canceled. Luke had to stay and watch over his cabin, so I stayed in mine hangning out with my sisters. 

Silena and I had grown close over the past few days. I had never gotten along with one of my sisters before, it was a nice change. Somewhere in my time at camp this time around, I stopped hating myself for being a child of the love goddess, I was starting to see the upsides of it as I got to know the girls in my cabin. 

"Elle." Lukes voice called through my window. 

I turned to see him standing in the rain, a paniced look in his eyes. I put on a sweater and went outside to greet him. 

"What's going on?" I asked. 

"Pack a bag, we need to leave camp tonight." 

"You said we were waiting for Percy to get back. I don't understand." I questioned.

"Annabeth and Grover just got back, they said Percy stayed behind to deliver the bolt. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen, but we need to go." 

"But... Percy is the key to everything, we should wait for him to return." I protested.

"Look, I can't stick around here waiting for him, not when Annabeth is here. I.... The guilt is too much." 

"What?" 

"It kills me to lie to her, but she'd never see things my way. We've been through a lot together, and I care about her. She's like a sister to me, can't you understand that?" 

I thought about Abby, and how it hurt to have our relationship strained in the end. Lies and secrets tore apart our friendship before Artemis even had the chance to get to her. I empathized with Luke, but I knew it was in our best interest to wait for Percy's return. 

"Percy is the key to everything, we need to wait for him. Even if there's just a small chance that he would join us willingly, it would make it all so much easier." 

Luke looked at me pleadingly, "Then I'll go and you stay, I just can't be around her while she still thinks of me like some kind of hero." 

"No, we stay together. Here. End of." I tell him. 

Luke sighed a deep sigh, rubbing his temples. 

"Fine, but pack a bag anyway. Percy can't be too far behind." Luke gave me a quick kiss on my forehead and walked back to his cabin. 

I went back inside my own cabin, taking out a backpack from under my bed. I began shoving clothes inside, not bothering to fold them. 

"Going somewhere?" Silena asked, sitting on my bed. 

"Yeah, uh, I'm..." I didn't have an excuse prepared, I didn't think anyone would take notice of me. 

"You're sneaking off to spend the night with Luke, aren't you?" She asked, sending me a smirk. 

"Yes! Yeah, um, its our one month tomorrow so we're, um, celebrating." I sigh. 

"I won't tell, just give me all the details when you get back." She stood up, turning to leave. 

"Silena, wait." I called to her. 

I thought, for a moment, about confessing it all to her. But I knew better. I just didn't want her to hate me, I couldn't take losing another friend. Another sister. 

"I'm not coming back to camp." 

"What like, next summer?" She asked. 

"No, um, not ever. I have some unfinished business on Olympus." 

"With mom?" I had told Silena about how the distain I held for our mother on my first night in the cabin. She was suprisingly supportive, and revealed that she felt the same way sometimes. 

"No, with Artemis. I'm going to get even, make her pay for all she took from me." 

I watched her face fall slightly, then quickly snap back into a smile, "Are you... I mean... What's your plan?" 

"I don't know, I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm still mulling some things over." She was scared, I could feel it. I regretted telling her, only because I knew now she would be scared of me forever. 

"Well, good luck. I'll keep your secret, but I won't cover for you, if they ask where you went I'll have to tell them." 

"I understand." I zipped up my bag. 

"There's a war coming, the timing of all this seems pretty... convienent." 

"Yeah.... Maybe one day we'll be back on the same side." I whisper, my voice cracking. 

"No, Gab, I couldn't ever turn my back on my friends. And, yeah, mom isn't the most active parent, but she's trying. They all are. I'd die before I joined whatever side you're on. So maybe you'll just have to come to your senses and then we can be sisters again." She smiled, a tear falling down her cheek. 

I smiled, reaching out to hug her. 

This was the end of a friendship that hadn't even gotten the chance to begin. I hoped that when it came down to it, we didn't have to fight. But I knew that was wishful thinking.