im all in

I held a deep rage in my chest since Percy's call, one that had been lit years ago. The more I thought about the conversation had in the Big House just moments before, the larger the flame grew. 

I was angry that Percy had to fight all these monsters with such little training, I was angry that he was being sent off to go do his father's bidding, I was angry at Luke for lying to me. It pained me to say it, but I was mad at the gods. 

I allowed my mind to open the drawer filled with thoughts I kept hidden away, thoughts that were angry and hateful; thoughts that if the gods could hear, would get me sent straight to tartarus.

I thought of Artemis, and how faithful I had been to her for over four-hundred years. She was so quick to throw me away, because of who my mother was. I trained harder than any other member of the hunt, and was the best at shooting and tracking by far, and yet I was never selected to join her for most quests. 

I thought of my mother, how she ignored me for ten years before bothering to claim me. She sent me on a fake goosechase of a quest just to embarass me further. Even now, I left behind everything I knew for Luke because I thought that it was her plan for me. 

And Luke, where did he get off lying to me? I had showed him every part of me, left behind my entire life, and for what? For him to lie straight to my face as if I wouldn't know?

Reading emotions was one of the only gifts my mother had given me, and lying was the loudest of them all. 

With a buring fire of rage keeping me warm, I fell into a troubled sleep. 

***

I had the same dream as I had most nights, it started with my chest being slashed, only this time I could see the person holding the sword. 

It was Abby. 

"Abby? Why?" I ask. 

"You did this, you did all of this." I took notice of the scene around us, different from my normal dreamscape. 

We stood atop a hill, fights breaking out all around us. I scanned the faces of the people fighting, recognizing none. I turn to see Artemis, holding the sky with her hands, she looked pained by the effort I knew it must have been taking to stop it from crushing her. 

I gasp softly, seeing Luke standing off to the side, almost taunting the goddess. 

"I told you, Gab, he's no good for you." She taunted. 

I took notice of the sword in my own hand, raising it as a warning. 

"Maybe you were no good for me, either." 

"Maybe," She shrugged, "But I'm not trying to kill you, am I?" 

I looked down at the blood coming from my chest, "Uh, was that a serious question, or?" 

Abby rolled her eyes, " Open your eyes, Gabrielle, did you forget your quest? The prophecy?" 

I open my mouth to speak, but was cut off by Abby. 

"Open your eyes." She spoke, but it wasn't her voice. 

"What?" I beg, tears spilling from my eyes, the pain in my chest becoming unbearable. 

"Wake up." It was Selena's voice that spoke, coaxing me awake. 

I closed my eyes, falling to my knees. The pain in my chest becoming more real as I awoke. 

"Gabrielle, please." Selena shook me awake. 

I opened my eyes, meeting her worried face. I gasped for air, my chest still hurt, bad.