Chapter 49

Moving around became a challenge, especially when Becky was nearby; she seemed to be everywhere. Despite my attempts to avoid her, she was hard to ignore.

After my birthday, Becky and I stopped talking to each other, as if we were invisible to one another. Time flew by, and Richie didn't return after a week. Staying here for another day was difficult, but I had no other choice.

William, Lego, and I grew closer as we spent every day together. I practically memorized every corner of the Armstrong land— the ranch, vineyard, old greenhouse, the resort, and even Becky's private garden, a mystery to everyone. I glimpsed her entering it once with a guitar; perhaps it was her sanctuary, explaining why she kept it off-limits.

"Freen!" William shouted while I lay on the grass, enjoying the cloudy sky. He handed me a plastic bag with ice cream. "I bought one outside. I hope it hasn't melted yet."

"Thanks," I said, sitting up to savor the ice cream.

"Are you really leaving now? Tomorrow night there's an event in town. We can go before you depart," William suggested, smiling. "It's a special event for all the citizens here—lighting candles and lanterns. An old-fashioned way to celebrate a fiesta."

"You still do that here?" I asked. "I thought things would modernize. Seems like the town mayor decided to preserve the spirit of this old province." I smiled and bit into my ice cream.

William chuckled, gently wiping the ice cream from my lips. He looked at me and smiled genuinely. "No wonder Miss Becky was always looking at you. You're beautiful, Freen."

I averted my gaze, finishing my ice cream. This wasn't right. I hadn't done anything to William, and he shouldn't be falling for me.

"William!" Lego ran towards us, pretending to cry.

"What happened?" William asked him.

"Miss Becky said they're sending us to another ranch, far from here," Lego cried, acting like a baby. "I don't know what I did. Did you upset her?"

"No?" William looked at me, and I shrugged. "I'll talk to Miss Becky. Where is she?"

"In the old greenhouse. Please, William, I don't want to leave here. I want to see Miss Freen and Miss Becky every day!" Lego hugged William.

"Fine, fine." William stood up and glanced at me. "Do you want to come with me?"

"Nope. Freed is resting." I shook my head. Was it obvious that I didn't want to see Becky?

"Please? Just give me a ride. You can still ride Stormrider, right?" William looked at me with sad eyes, so I agreed. He extended his hand to help me stand, and I went to the stables to get Stormrider.

William put his arms around me as I gave him a ride to the old greenhouse. It was awkward, but he seemed nervous. He didn't know what he did to make Becky act that way. She hadn't given them any explanation. Was it because they were close to me, and Becky wanted me to be lonely?

"We're here," I told William, and he got down.

I tied Stormrider first, gave him water, and then followed William inside. I saw Becky there, not smoking, but reading with her reading glasses on. She looked at William, closed her book, and her face seemed angry.

"Did Lego tell you?" Becky asked.

"Why?" William asked. "Did we do something wrong? Why are you sending us away? We've been here for four years, and not once have we made a mistake. Why send us away now?" He probed.

"You don't know what you did?" Becky huffed, facing William. Though shorter than him, she wasn't scared and even moved her face closer. "You're stealing, William."

"I didn't steal anything. Check my belongings. You don't have proof, Miss Becky!" William exclaimed. "I'm not that kind of person. Please reconsider."

"You're stealing what's mine." Becky looked in my direction, and I realized it was me. The reason she wanted William out of the picture.

Wait, what's hers? I wasn't hers to begin with. Or her plaything? Did she want revenge? Why does nothing make sense anymore? What did she mean by that?

"Miss Freen?" William furrowed his eyebrows. "Since when did I...?" He stopped for a while.

"Talk to me in my office, then maybe I'll reconsider." Becky grabbed her book once again.

"No need, Miss Becky. I'll do what you want." William looked at the ground.

"Good." Becky smirked and motioned for him to leave.

William walked past me without looking. I looked at Becky with enraged eyes. How could she involve those innocent workers in her rage at me?

"Why did you do that?" I asked.

"Not your concern, Freen." Becky answered, busy reading her book. "Go back."

"William is innocent. He didn't know what happened between us. He's just doing his job to tour me around the ranch. Why remove him from his job?" I asked. "Don't you think that's too cruel? He's innocent!"

"I was innocent back then too, Freen. Don't you think?" she asked, closing her book once again and walking to face me like she did with William. "Young and so smitten with you. My only goal back then was to make you fall for me. I did everything, Freen." Becky unbuttoned the first two buttons of my blouse.

"Stop." I grabbed her hands and removed them. "If you want revenge, do it on me. Don't involve William and Lego."

"Okay." Becky looked at me with lust and gently inserted her hand inside my blouse, causing me to flinch. "You want my forgiveness, right? Then do everything I say. Even if it makes you seem like a slut."