2. Wings of comfort

"We are finally back Doshi.", I whispered.

"Finally."

***********************************************************************************************

After a few hours, the library was about to close, and we had to make our way out. We had been determined to find out as much as we possibly could about the past 300 years on Earth. Apparently being a hero was now a profession, and the crime rate had decreased significantly. It was safe to say that Earth was now very peaceful, considering the existence of quirks.

It felt weird that you could now be called a hero when you received money and fame for protecting the citizens by beating up villains. Weren't heroes supposed to keep others safe, without seeking compensation for it? So, now anyone with power and the ability to confine villains could be considered a hero? And you needed a licence to be able to use your quirk to protect even yourself? You couldn't even save someone if you didn't take an exam? Had the word hero lost its meaning?

Even if that was the case, I had to admit the system seemed to have worked. Awfully well, even. If this system kept the civilians safe, then I guess I should be glad that it has been established. I guess if those heroes kept the people protected, then I should feel grateful towards them, even if it didn't sit right with me that a title as deep as hero, could be used so effortlessly. After all, those heroes were still people risking their safety for others and saving lives, even if it was their desires that drove them to do it.

In the end, Earth was now peaceful, in contrast to when I left. A small smile spread across my lips when I thought about the progress the Earthlings had made since the appearance of quirks. I was proud of my people. Moreover, the thought of settling down, focusing on having fun, escaping the loop, and aging past 15, still felt so foreign to me. Doshi would be free too. Everything felt surreal.

I had, with hesitation, searched up myself earlier as well. I had been listed as missing, and I decided not to dig any deeper. Something else caught my attention though, apparently the entrance exams for a prestigious hero high school were taking place in about two weeks. So, even more requirements now? Oh well.

It was getting dark, and the breeze was getting chiller. I was still wearing the damaged one-piece from my last fight. I thought of returning to the park I woke up in, since I had no money to rent a hotel room, but decided to screw that idea. Instead, I released my burning Phoenix wings and set out towards the black sky. The warming heat my wings gave off sent out a sensation of comfort around my whole body. I batted my wings and flew higher up, lighting up the dark sky like a shooting star rising back up. The adrenalin hit me like the waves hit the surfer. A grin grew on my lips as I launched myself downwards at high speed, almost making my heart beat itself out of my chest, just to fly back up the second before hitting the ground. I repeated that a few times, before challenging myself to a race throughout Japan. I shot forward at speed higher than any missile could ever reach, flying past skyscrapers, cities, and mountains. I lived for the thrill. I lived for the moments I could feel my heart pump at a high rate, sending chills through my body. This was life.

--- 3rd person POV ---

The girl flew fast forward with her golden, flaming wings large enough to compare with the large busses in the city. Her aura radiated confidence and excitement. This girl certainly didn't go unnoticed by a certain winged hero. He was looking out the window in amazement, scanning the area for the girl that flew past it just second ago, but there was no-one in sight.