Chapter 18

-The Next day-

----------------------------------------------

-In Navier's Office-

----------------------------------------------

-Navier's POV-

I sat down in her office as Vice-Captain of the Eastern Empire's Royal Guard Artina stood in front of me as I sat down at my desk "Lady Artina, there is something I want you to discreatly find out for me." I said "What is it, Your Majesty." Lady Artina asked looking up at me.

"I need to know what Prince Heinrey and Duke Ergi have been up to." I said as Lady Artina looked at me surprised "What they've been up to? I can understand why you want me to find out more about Duke Ergi, but...Do you want me to investigate Prince Heinrey, too, Your Majesty?" Lady Artina asked me making me nod. "That's right. Find out what they were up to before they attended the New Year's Ceremony. In other words, I want to know what their movement was before they entered the palace." I said as Lady Artina bowed "Of course, Your Majesty." She said walking out of the room the door clicked once it was closed.

'The Western Kingdom poses the greatest threat to the Eastern Empire...But besides that, there's not much going on between us. I wonder what he's planning...' I thought as I placed my arms on my desk rubbing my head looking down at my hands.

----------------------------------------------

-In Rashta's room-

----------------------------------------------

-Third Person's POV-

"Hmmph. You're back sooner than I thought. Did you find out anything useful?" Rasht asked looking at a smirking Viscount Lotteshu as he sat down pulling something out " Yes, I've found out something that is sure to be of interest. And it wasn't difficult to find. Read this." He said and handed Rashta a pamphlet she took it from his hand and flipped through it trying to read it, but soon looked up at him with a glare as he looked surprised "Oh, I thought the Emperor taught you how to read." He said before tapping the page she was on.

"The beautiful Lady Nian, the young Marquess Tuania who entered the temple...And Lady Nian's fiance, Lord Rene. It's a scandal that's featured heavily in this pamphlet" He said as Rashta looked at him annoyed "But I asked you to find dirt on the Duchess." Rashta said as Viscount Lottechu shook his head "The Lady Nian that they're talking about here is now known as Duchess Tuania. She wasn't born a Duchess" He said. "Tsk, so does that mean the Marquess Tuania they're referring to here is now Duke Tuania?"Rashta asked as Viscount Lotteshu turned his gaze to her "The Marquess Tuania they're talking about here was the eldest son of the late Duke Tuania. But now he is known as Lord Marius." Viscount Lotteshu said making Rashta a little confused "I don't get it. What does all of this mean?" She asked.

"I'll explain this to you by using the titles that they are known by today." Viscount Lotteshu said.

"Duke Tuania's older brother, Lord Marius, fell in love with his brother's fiance, Duchess Tuania." He said as Rashta seemed surprised hearing this "Really?" She asked making him nod "Yes. Lord Marius wasn't even subtle about it. And it turned out that he and the Duchess were actually quite close. But when the Duchess ultimately chose to marry his brother, Lord Marius was so shocked that he gave up his claim to the Duchy as well as his right to the inherence. And then he went to live in a temple." Viscount Lotteshu said. "Why would he give up all of that simply due to shock?" Rashta asked confused as Vicount Lotteshu shrugged and said "Who knows? But the problem was...Lord Marius killed himself less than a week after he entered the temple." Rashta sweat dropped at this and thought "But that's not something I can use against the Duchess. It's not like she killed him herself." Rashta said as Viscount Lotteshu smirked and said  "But you'll be interested in the rumor that followed his death."  Rashta turned her gaze to him "What rumor?" She asked curiously.

"The Duchess gave birth to a child just seven months after the wedding. The family claimed that the baby was just born prematurely...And there were rumors that the baby was actually Lord Marius's child. Then the company that produced this pamphlet went under." Viscount Lotteshu said as Rashta smirked 'Now this is something that I can use!' She thought before looking up at him "So? What do you think?" He asked as Rashta opened up her jewelry box and took out a few jewels and a necklace handing them to him.

"There's something else I want you to do for me." Rashta said holding a jewel in her hand as Viscount Lotteshu turned his gaze onto her.

"Something else?" Viscount Lotteshu asked.

"Since we're on the same side now, you'll have to keep working for me, don't you think? You said that Lord Marius killed himself in a temple, right?" Rashta asked making Viscount Lotteshu nod "Yes." He said "I want you to pay off some people who live near the temple to start a rumor. I want them to spread a rumor about how before Lord Marius killed himself, he was visited several times by a very beautiful noblewoman." Rashta said as Viscount Lotteshu caught onto what she was planning.

"Oh. It seems you want to attack the Duchess, but do you think that rumor will be enough?" He asked and Rashta smirked "It should be more than enough." Rashta said.

----------------------------------------------

-In Rashta's room-

----------------------------------------------

-Rashta's POV-

I walked inside my room coming back from the party and I bit my nail in anger 'I'm sure the man who looked at Duchess Tuania with disdain at every party...Is Duke Tuania. I'm sure it won't take much to set him off since it looks like he's already upset with the Duchess. If the rumor about the Duchess takes off...Then the rumor that I'm a runaway slave should peter out.' I thought before walking over to my couch and flopping down onto it 'I have to find out more about the baby once I've taken care of this rumor. But I can't entrust that task to just anyone...Is there someone I can trust to find out the truth about the baby?' I thought before looking down and sighing.

Is there someone I can trust to find out the truth about the baby?' I thought before looking down and sighing

.

.

.