roommates

i walked through the front door of my apartment and slammed my keys down on the kitchen counter

i walked through the front door of my apartment and slammed my keys down on the kitchen counter. i was in the absolute worst mood because i had just gone on yet another failed first date. my co-star, austin, tried to set me up with one of his guy friends, and it was a complete letdown. everything the guy did was a turn-off; he mansplained every topic to me and was super rude to the waiter.

my roommate drew flung his bedroom door open after hearing my aggressive slamming of my car keys. "how did your date go?" he asked, his forehead creased in concern.

i sighed loudly and plopped my body down on the couch. "so awful," i groaned, slapping my hand to my forehead. "he couldn't even let me get a word in, and he didn't tip our waiter."

drew walked over to the couch and sat at my feet, raising them up on his lap. rubbing my legs in comfort, he said, "i'm sorry, y/n. i think this should be the last time austin tries to set you up with one of his guy friends. he has had an awful track record of telling you how 'great' his friends are, and they turn out to be total losers." i could tell by his playful tone that he was trying to make me feel better about it.

his attempt at cheering me up made a small giggle escape me. "i know! i need to tell him he needs to make some better friends," i joked, trying to make light of the situation.

i slumped back on the couch, still defeated that the date didn't work out. i had been single for a year, and every date i have been on since then has been a total waste of time.

drew noticed my pout, and he gave me a lopsided grin. "how about you go get in your pajamas and relax in bed? i have a surprise for you; just give me 20 minutes." he patted my legs to get me to stand up, and i grumbled before dragging my body off to my bedroom. as i entered my room, i heard drew exit through our front door. i was excited at what surprise he had in store for me.

i got dressed in my favorite polka-dot pajamas and proceeded to bury myself in bed under my huge fluffy blanket. after waiting for a bit, i heard drew's key jingle in the door, and it swung open. i kicked my feet in excitement, giddy to see what trick he had up his sleeve this time.

drew and i had a tradition of surprising each other after one of us had a failed date. in the past, he's surprised me with flowers, a bottle of wine, pizza, and endless other things. no guy has ever been there for me quite like drew has, and he's the best roommate a girl could ask for. we've been inseparable ever since our first day together on the set of outer banks.

upon entering my room, he had a huge bag with items almost spilling over. i clapped my hands together in excitement, and i sat up in bed. "what do we have? what do we have?" i squealed, my cheeks hurting from how big i was smiling.

drew chuckled at my excitement and said, "just your favorite things of all time." he smirked at me and took each item out of the bag, one by one, "your favorite takeout, your favorite candy, and a dvd of your favorite movie." he jumped into bed next to me, and i instantly wrapped my arms tightly around his neck.