movie night

drew and i had a weekly ritual of watching a new movie

drew and i had a weekly ritual of watching a new movie. i always picked a comedy or romance, and he often chose action or horror. it was a rainy friday night, and it was his turn to pick. drew, of course, chose the goriest horror movie he could find.

"drew, i told you i don't like movies with jump scares," i groaned, hiding my face behind my hands. he knew i hated horror movies, but especially ones with ouija boards or jump scares. and drew being the kind person he is, picked a movie with both.

he sat at the other end of the couch, laughing at my constant screaming and jumping. "this is one of my favorites, come on. you picked the notebook last week," he responded, cocking his head at me.

i exasperatedly sighed and threw a pillow at his face. "you were crying by the end of it. i don't want to hear you act like you hated it."

he darted his eyes away from me in embarrassment. "whatever," he mumbled, shoving popcorn into his mouth.

i gave him an "i-told-you-so" look before returning my gaze to the movie. i looked back at the wrong time because once i did, i almost jumped out of my skin. blood began splattering on the screen, and i couldn't handle it any longer.

"drew, i'm serious. this is terrifying," i whined, not being able to open my eyes.

i sat there, my eyes squeezed shut, and my hands balled up into fists at my side. i attempted to ignore the bloodcurdling screams coming from the television by trying to picture myself at the beach, but it was no use. i rocked my body back and forth in an attempt to block out the horrifying images still flashing before my eyes.

my eyes flew open once i felt drew grabbing my arm. "relax, it's me," he whispered, dragging my body over to his side of the couch.

i instinctively curled up into his large frame, gripping onto his t-shirt for dear life. i buried my head in his shoulder before saying, "tell me when the scary part is over, please."

i felt him nod against my hair, and i plugged my ears to avoid hearing the horrific noises. my body finally relaxed when i felt him begin rubbing my shoulder. i loosened my grip on his shirt, and i slyly tilted my head back to get a better view of his face. i usually could tolerate the scary movies drew put on, but this was the first time i needed to feel protected.

it was unusual to me that i felt so comfortable being in drew's lap. we had been roommates for years, and we hadn't touched each other past a hug. i oddly enjoyed being held by him; it felt secure.

"the scary part is over," he stated, chuckling at my embarrassing display of fright. i jokingly pinched his arm, annoyed he found amusement in my distress.

"you're such a jerk. i'm getting you back ten times worse next week. you thought the notebook was bad? just you wait, pal," i threatened, narrowing my eyes at him.