faking it

while getting ready for madison's party, i was interrupted by a phone call from drew

while getting ready for madison's party, i was interrupted by a phone call from drew. i answered the phone and was caught off guard by him yelling like a madman.

"y/n, y/n! i need your help," he stammered, huffing and puffing through the speaker. his behavior made me immediately set my mascara down in concern. he was acting as if his house set on fire.

"what? is everything okay?" i hurriedly asked, trying to think of what could possibly be wrong.

"no, everything is not okay. you're going to madison's tonight, right?" he said, still trying to catch his breath. i finally relaxed my shoulders after hearing what the big deal was.

"yes, drama queen, i'm going to madison's tonight. i'm getting ready right now, you kinda interrupted me," i complained, returning to doing my makeup. i groaned at how dramatic he could be.

"i'm begging you to be my date for her party. i usually go alone to these kinds of things, but i heard people have been talking about how they feel bad for me that i got broken up with," he blurted. he spoke so fast that it sounded like each word ran into another.

i put him on speaker so i could apply my blush without struggling. "first of all, calm down. second of all, are you joking?" i laughed at how ridiculous he sounded, asking me to be his date so he wouldn't have to feel embarrassed.

"no, i'm not joking. it's only for the night; just do me this one favor," he begged. i mentally weighed my options, and i sighed loudly as i decided to give in to him.

"this is insane; you know that, right?" i beat myself up for even giving in to his ridiculous request. as i finished applying my lipgloss, i stared back at myself in the mirror and appreciated how good i actually looked compared to my usual big t-shirt and messy hair.

i could almost picture him rolling his eyes through the phone. "well, what else am i supposed to do?" he exasperatedly asked.

"go without a date like everybody else. i didn't realize the pretty boy always had to have a girl on his arm," i sassily answered. as i zipped up my dress, i felt more confident than ever.

"shut up. did you just call me pretty?" he remarked. i could hear him smirking over the phone, and i immediately wanted to wipe it off his face.

"whatever. pick me up in 20," i asserted, immediately hitting the end call button. i knew i wanted the extra time to drink some wine; i desperately needed some liquid courage to soothe my nerves.

as i poured myself a glass, i finally took a moment to relax and prepare for the night to come. i couldn't fathom that i agreed to being drew's date, and i prayed that the alcohol would kick in soon.

as i took the last sip from my glass, i saw drew's car pull into my driveway. i watched him step out of his car, and my jaw dropped at how good he looked. drew was undeniably attractive, but the suit he had on sent a chill down my spine. my eyes followed his every movement as he sauntered up to my door and knocked. i suddenly felt every ounce of confidence i had just built up crumble down.