Chapter 17

Perhaps because everyone was uneasy, the mahjong game didn't last long after ten o'clock. Apart from Hua Ma'am, everyone went back to their respective homes.

There were no streetlights in Ban Ya Village. Walking at night relied on either flashlights or phone torches. Four people, four directions, and the light from the flashlights resembled thin, slender fish swimming into the vast darkness.

Yan Tuo, like a ghostly figure, followed behind Bird Tea.

The midnight countryside was eerily quiet. Bird Tea walked with swaying elegance in her apricot-colored high heels, making a clicking sound with each step.

However, women are sensitive creatures. As they walked, she suddenly stopped, shining her flashlight behind her cautiously while shouting, "Who's there?"

Yan Tuo had already stepped into a dark corner ahead, his gaze fixed on her without blinking.

After a few seconds passed without any movement around them, Bird Tea relaxed, thinking she was just being paranoid. She let out a long sigh and muttered, "This cursed place, I'm never coming back here again."

Bird Tea lived in a two-story building. The exterior was tiled, with faded couplets on the door, giving off a rustic vibe. However, in the countryside, this could be considered a luxurious residence.

She went straight up to the second floor, in a good mood, humming a song. Once inside, she quickly unzipped her long skirt and let it fall to the ground. She kicked off her high heels, grabbed a towel, and went into the bathroom.

Soon, the sound of rushing water filled the bathroom.

Taking advantage of the sound, Yan Tuo surveyed the inside and outside of the house. It seemed that no one lived here regularly because there were no signs of daily life. However, it was cleaned very well, likely recently. The stains wiped off the windows were still visible. There were two suitcases in the corner of the bedroom; one was a 26-inch black suitcase, likely belonging to a man, leaning against the wall, and the other was a 22-inch colorful suitcase, opened up messily with women's clothing scattered inside.

The bedding on the bed was also in disarray. There were originally two pillows, one had fallen off the bed, and the other was placed in the middle of the bed's headboard.

This Bird Tea is probably not a local resident and has only recently come here. She has an intimate male partner, but he hasn't been staying here these past few days.

There's a strong feminine scent in the house, with a soft and sticky fragrance. Yan Tuo opened a window to air it out and then picked up a jacket from the open suitcase before sitting on the edge of the bed with the gun in hand.

The sound of water stopped, and faint humming could be heard. Then, the door was pulled open, and Bird Tea, barefoot and wearing a dry hair cap, walked out while adjusting the cap. After just a few steps, she screamed and froze in place.

She wrapped a large towel around herself, fastened it between the cleavage in front of her chest, and the hair cap was still not in place, with a few strands of hair falling down, the tips hanging with water. It was a cold night in September, and the temperature was very low. The cold air came in through the open window, hitting her bare skin, causing goosebumps all over her body.

Her voice trembled when she asked, "Who are you?"

But gradually, she calmed down, and her body went from tense to relaxed. In front of her was a man, and she had the upper hand dealing with men.

She smiled and quickly guessed Yan Tuo's identity. "You're the man who came during the day, right?"

Yan Tuo threw the coat at her. "Put on some clothes before you speak."