Chapter 12 - Mutualism

Tricia inserted the key into the doorknob, and the doorknob clicked. Her stilettos were in one hand, and her bag was in the other. She had just returned from Venita's office, where they had discussed the next steps in their deal. Venita was confident that she would soon have Trevor at her fingertips, and she told Tricia that while things were moving more slowly than expected, she had everything under control. Katie was concerned because she knew Trevor hadn't shown genuine interest in Venita initially, which would be a problem. For Venita, it was just another way to cash out, but for Tricia, it was more than that. She needed to improve the plan because waiting for things to happen would jeopardise her deal with Lady Rose. Jose and Gillard ran up to her as she entered the house, ecstatic. Jose was three years old at the time, while Gillard was five.

"Mommy, Gillard took my cereal," Jose reported, as if he had been waiting all day to tell Katie the news. Katie lifted Jose off his feet and tossed her bag and stiletto around the corner.

"Did you do that?" Katie asked Gillard as she playfully stroked his hair.

"But he didn't want the cereal," Gillard replied.

"I didn't want that kind, mommy."

"Oh, I see. Why then do you complain when you didn't want it in the first place, sweetie?"

"He didn't ask me for it."

"It's all right, Jose. Next time, he will ask."

"Okay, Mommy."

Tricia was going to set Jose down when she felt Doctor Murray's beaded hands encircle her waist from behind; his scent filled her nostrils. Tricia gave him a quick, tight smile and gently caressed his hands.

"Hey, honey," Tricia said. With his hands still around her waist, she turned slightly and gave him a massive kiss on the lips.

"I thought you would stay for the night, honey?" Tricia inquired.

"I guess someone forgot her wedding anniversary. Not me though."

Tricia exclaimed and cupped her hands around her mouth, releasing herself from Doctor Murray's grip. Her memory has been severely impaired lately, mainly due to external distractions.

"How did I do that? I truly deserve to be punished."

"O yeah, you really deserve to be, and I know some effective ways to get you punished on this memorable day." Dr Murray replied facetiously.

While Gillard had already run off to play in the room, Jose was still hanging around his mother, playing, and interrupting his parents intermittently. Tricia shook her head repeatedly in disbelief. It was the first time she had forgotten their anniversary. They never failed to commemorate their wedding anniversary.

"But it's quite unusual of you, baby. I hope you are well," Dr. Murray asked with worry.

"Sure. It's just work. We have a busy runway this week," Tricia went on to explain, "I have been working longer and more intensely than usual. Forgive me, honey. I will make it up."

"It's fine. I already have everything planned out for dinner tonight. Ms. Curtney will mind the children while we are away. I already planned with her to cover this evening."

Tricia jumped into his arms as soon as she heard it. She didn't deserve Doctor Murray, she thought. Doctor Murray always treated her with the respect that a queen deserved. It was love at first sight for him, and it had never changed.

"Why not go dress up so that we can start the evening already? I have places that we should visit."

"Mommy, am I coming?" Jose asked innocently.

"No, sweetie. We will be back in a jiffy. Go play hide and seek with your brother."

Tricia said this cheerfully as she gathered her belongings and made her way to the dressing room. A box was neatly placed on top of the bed, and the bed was adorned with brilliant red rose petals shaped like love. She smiled, dropped her bag, and started unwrapping the gift. It was pretty yellow underwear with the phrase "forever mine" on it. She gave a big smile and recalled how meeting Doctor Murray had been one of the best days of her life and had forever altered the course of her love story. Tricia's phone rang; it was Lady Rose. Her chest started pounding. She tiptoed to the door and locked it before answering the phone.

"See whose anniversary it is today. Happy anniversary, Tricia. I hope you have a peaceful one like this next time. If there will be a next time," Lady Rose said as she laughed wickedly over the phone.

"Remember Tricia, when you came begging on your hands and feet, demanding large sums of money to help you pay off whatever foolishness you had gotten your family involved in? Not only did I keep your poor husband and your two adorable kids out of poverty, but I also prevented them from being killed, sold, or put in any other terrible situation!"

"Lady Roo..."

"Do not interrupt me. You will talk when I'm finished. Understood?"

"Yes, lady."

"I made the decision to save you out of the goodness of my heart. And I made it very apparent to you that I would accept anything in exchange for you doing me a tiny favour, which I fully explained to you. You agreed to this deal without any coercion or influence of any kind. I think that you ought to have known better," Lady Rose recounted gently. "You should have known Lady Rose better before requesting a favour from her. I have such a generous heart, and I always make it a two-way street; you rub my back, and I rub yours. Isn't that how it goes? So, Tricia, don't let me down because the consequences will be unpleasant. You only have one small task, and I can tell you're about to fail. Consider what will happen if your beloved husband discovers your little secret. And your children? You definitely don't want to think about that." Lady Rose paused and went on from the other end of the call without waiting for Tricia to say a word.

"So, what have you to say? Trevor will return to Boulevard, according to the mayor's current plans. Have you any plans? I hope you have."

"I I I haave been progressing quite well. The woman in question, Venita, has already made some progress. They have mated at least," Tricia responded shakily.

Lady Rose chuckled indistinctly.

"Mated, you say? That's impressive," Lady Rose replied with a sarcastic voice. How come it took so long to provide me with that outdated information? It has already become outdated because I am aware of it. It is intended for a woman to enthrall him and seize his heart. We're both aware of Trevor's disinterest in his father's wealth. I want her to gain authorised access to David's confidentiality. This woman is going to give us access to David's wealth. So, if the Venita lady in question does not appear to be up to the job, find a replacement right away. This is moving too slowly for my liking."

"It can't be as quick because I know getting Trevor to succumb will be as difficult as forcing a horse to drink water. But I will do everything I can to create an enabling environment. I cannot fail. I know," Tricia expressed herself shakily.

"Brilliant. Just get the job done; problem solved. I don't want to take things too far. Do not make me do it, Tricia. I've gone to great lengths to complete this task. I can't let you ruin my work now."

"And keep in mind that the agreement did not include mating in order to conceive. It will not be beneficial to us. But we can change it and get her to sign a new one if that's a better option."

"Of course."

"Brilliant, Tricia. I hope we do not have any more misunderstandings in the future."

She didn't even wait for Tricia to respond before disconnecting. Tricia threw her phone on the bed, punched it violently, and paced the room, trying to keep her grief at bay. Since she didn't have any other options, she knew Lady Rose already had her under her thumb. She wasn't going to be able to beat Lady Rose. Her freedom was the only thing she stood to gain from it. She paced around the room, cursing loudly. Doctor Murray gently tapped the door to know if she was all right.

"I am okay, honey, just some stupid people from work." She reassured him.