14.

Earlier in the week, Meng told Zhan what led Wang to the dungeon. Zhan asked someone to bring him a picture of the caretaker. So, he would start with the lowest level of corruption and work his way up.

With a mischievous grin, his cousin replied, "Well, I'd like to see what you have up your sleeves.

Did you say Wang Yibo? Chang's grandson? Someone asked from the crowd table.

"Yes indeed," Zhan replied with a knowing smile.

Do you know him? Someone beside the man asked.

"Yes, I know his parents," the man nodded, acknowledging the curiosity of the person beside him. "They were farmers, you know? Died mysteriously years ago," he added sarcastically, noticing Wang's visibly stiff reaction to his words.

Zhan smiled warmly, gently holding Wang's hands. "Don't worry," he said reassuringly. "I will take care of this. We'll find out the truth behind your parents' deaths and bring justice to those responsible." Wang only glared at him. 

A farm boy? Zhan really cleaned him up nicely. People murmured, giggled and laughed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't get your name," Zhan asked the man.

"My name is Wen Chao," he said sarcastically, his eyes glinting with mischief as he glared at Wang.

"Your name doesn't ring a bell," Zhan replied, feigning ignorance. "By chance, are you related to Wen Ruo Han?" he asked, his eyes narrowing slightly as he awaited Wen Chao's response.

"And who the fuck are you calling his grandfather by his name?" someone sneered, disdainful.

Zhan's voice grew low and menacing as he addressed the disrespectful individual. "You only speak when you are spoken to," he growled, his words reverberating throughout the entire room. The sneering person immediately fell silent, their arrogance replaced with a hint of fear.

Wen Chao's face contorted with anger as he clenched his fists. "You watch your mouth, boy" he spat, his voice dripping with venom. Zhan calmly maintained his composure, knowing he had struck a nerve.

"Well, if your grandfather was here, he'd never look me in the face, let alone disrespect me," Zhan retorted with a cold smile, his words laced with a subtle threat. The room grew tense, as everyone sensed the brewing animosity between Zhan and Wen Chao.

Does your family still run the mine down in the forest? When we were younger, we always played there. Whenever father came looking for us, your grandfather would sneak us out and tell him that he didn't see us. Zhan smiled.

Wen Chao's eyes narrowed as he locked his gaze with Zhan's. "My family still runs the mine," he replied through gritted teeth. "But don't think for a second that I owe you any loyalty or favors. Things have changed since your childhood, Zhan."

"Oh, I don't need favors," Zhan replied with a sly smile. "But if I remember correctly the river has an opening that led to the forest, and I think it was overflowed and was heading towards your mine. To prevent flooding, you broke the bridge, allowing water to enter the village instead."