15

Zhan smiled as he stood up and walked slowly towards the caretaker. You went to Eastland Village and took my mate's cow because he didn't pay rent. You slaughtered his cow, which made my mate angry. He beat you, and your dogs attacked him. This entire situation ended with him locked up in the dungeon. However, I'm feeling generous today. Zhan laughed. This sudden burst of laughter scared everyone in the room. Where are the dogs that beat him? Zhan said in an ice-cold tone, reflecting his anger at the situation.

The caretaker stuttered nervously, "Th-they're...they're outside, somewhere. I...I'll go get them right away, sir."

Zhan's gaze shifted to one of his armed men, who promptly followed the caretaker outside to retrieve the guards.

Someone sneered, "This delinquent, noncultured brat thinks he can get away with anything just because he's feeling generous today. Let's see how long his generosity lasts."

"You are?" Zhan asked without looking at him, his voice laced with a dangerous calmness that sent shivers down everyone's spine.

"I am Wen Mao," he laughed, his voice dripping with amusement.

"Just the man I am looking for," Zhan smiled, standing up. "You took my mate's father's land, but I will take something you haven't expected, and your little experiment is no longer there."

"I have proof," Wen Mao hissed, his eyes narrowing with a hint of triumph. "I bought the land fair and square. Your mate's father willingly sold it to me. As for my little experiment, it seems you're in for a surprise. It's not something you can take away so easily."

"Liars always twist the truth," Chang said through gritted teeth, her eyes burning with anger. "You may have your so-called 'proof', but I know my son, he didn't sell the land to you.

"Chang, I know he didn't sell it," Zhan smiled, his voice calm but firm.

Uncle, I have a theory. I believe there was a point when everything was flowing smoothly for you. However, things went for the hay, when Cheng emptied the vault. As a result, you faced financial difficulty and had to take bribes and ask the villagers for money to keep up appearances. However, the story has a twist.

According to my theory, Wen Mao, who had the means to conduct experiments took on the task of creating hybrids. While you may have faced financial difficulties, Wen Mao had the resources to pursue this endeavor and in return he bribes you. What I don't understand is, why did Wen Mao choose that specific plot of land for his experiments?

"Enough with your absurd theories!" Zhan's cousin exclaimed, rising to his feet to defend his father. "Father never took bribe from anyone, and Wen Mao had no interest in conducting experiments, let alone on that plot of land. Your wild accusations are baseless and disrespectful."

"Xue Yang, sit down and keep your mouth shut," his mother warned sternly, casting a disapproving glance at her son. She knew Zhan was unpredictable and hot-headed, especially when interrupted while speaking. Even his parents learned to give him space to express himself without interruption because they understood it was critical to his emotional well-being. The boy is like a ticking time bomb.